tomato in driveway

I was taking out the garbage and there was a tomato in the driveway. Decent size, but green. I was up 5-0 but apparently no shutout this year. I may have to go Doc Ellis on the squirrels.

It rained here for about 3 days straight so I did not put vinegar on the rags. I should have this morn. But I dilly dallied, and that is my fault.... The squirrels have made their move, now it is time for counter measures. "No half measures" as Walt says.

Reply to
Gus

That has to be the greatest first line in modern poetry! Heck, poetry period. T.S. Eliot, step back!

The whole poem is fabulous. Love that line about vinegar, rags & rain. More!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Gus

I have an idea for a new video game. It involves squirrels. A first person shooter game with various weapons. One is a nuclear bomb.

Reply to
Gus

Google up the videos of squirrels catapulted from a trap. Here's one but I've seen better:

Some people think they are cruel but I've seen squirrels fall from the tops of tall trees without harm. Tough little bastards.

Reply to
Frank

A couple got in my roof last year. Had to pay about $300 to get them professionally removed and the roof repaired. One them died in the trap. Literally looked frozen, though it was not cold and in the 50s. The guy said sometimes that happens. They have a heart attack or something and die frozen in place. Was kinda freaky. It was in the trap for about a day and half on the edge of the roof like that, till the guy came and got it.

In retrospect, maybe I should have had it stuffed and put it on the back deck. As a kind of "scare-squirrel" As a way to let the squirrels know: if you don't leave my tomatoes alone, you're next.

Reply to
Gus

I hope it hit the tree, got knocked out, and a large cat or dog came by.

"no more half measures"

Gus

If it's any consolation, I saw a squirrel get his up comings and ended up dead in the middle of the road. Seems no one felt sorry for it, either, and let it lay there for a while with it's dead furry taile flopping around in the breeze.

Reply to
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl

Happened to one of my sons a couple of years ago. Squirrel died in liner between fireplace chimney and wall. He had to hire a contractor to expose chimney and repair exposure and a fire place guy to fix the chimney. Cost him well over $1,000 not including smell in the house along with maggots.

Reply to
Frank

Happened when I was out in the woods bow hunting. Squirrels jumping between trees missed their target or slipped and fell to the ground. They just got up and continued doing their squirrel things like nothing happened.

Reply to
Frank

Luckily, I got mine out before that or they started a family. My BIL had one in his attic and he found the entrance and closed it up. The next day, when the squirrel could not get back in-- it let out a blood curdling scream. And then for days after, he would often see the squirrel sitting on the roof staring at him-- with daggers in it's eyes.

Reply to
Gus

In the 80s I lived in Denver and was driving down a nice tree-lined street to work. All of a sudden, I see this flash of gray by the left front of my car, and a loud thump. I looked in the rear view mirror, and there was a squirrel lying on it's back, it's little arms and legs up in the air, not moving. I don't think that one got back up.

I have had them dart out in front of me when riding a bike. Then, reverse course and dart back in front of me just as I am going past, just barely not getting run over. Have had this happen 3-4 times. How do the brainless twits survive long enough to reproduce?

Reply to
Gus

My friend calls them things I can't really repeat!

Reply to
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl