Tomato cutworms, foil and wilt

On P. Allen Smith's Web site, he suggests:
Wrap tomato seedling stems with aluminum foil to deter cutworms. Once the plants mature the stem will thicken enough that these pests wont be a problem and you can remove the foil.
Anybody heard of this?
ALSO: Last year was tragic for tomatoes. Wilt,wilt, wilt. Not just me.
Any way to take pro-active steps?
TIA
Persephone
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:02:30 -0700, Persephone wrote:

No, but I see no reason it won't work. You cna make collars from other things, so why not foil?

Charlie
Persephone said:

I use a strip of newspaper to wrap my tomato stems. No need to remove anything later!

Got an in with the Weather Gods? Because I think that'd be 90% of the solution...

After enlightenment, the laundry.

your tomatos, potatoes, peppers, eggplants, and basil to another location for three to four years.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/index.html Search page for Fusarium and Verticillium Wilts of Tomato, Potato, Pepper, and Eggplant, HYG-3122-96 (pdf) and down load.

--

Billy