Tomato cutworms, foil and wilt

On P. Allen Smith's Web site, he suggests:

Wrap tomato seedling stems with aluminum foil to deter cutworms. Once the plants mature the stem will thicken enough that these pests won?t be a problem and you can remove the foil.

Anybody heard of this?

ALSO: Last year was tragic for tomatoes. Wilt,wilt, wilt. Not just me.

Any way to take pro-active steps?

TIA

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

No, but I see no reason it won't work. You cna make collars from other things, so why not foil?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I use a strip of newspaper to wrap my tomato stems. No need to remove anything later!

Got an in with the Weather Gods? Because I think that'd be 90% of the solution...

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

If the wilt is Fusarium or Verticillium wilt you need to locate your tomatos, potatoes, peppers, eggplants, and basil to another location for three to four years.

page for Fusarium and Verticillium Wilts of Tomato, Potato, Pepper, and Eggplant, HYG-3122-96 (pdf) and down load.

Reply to
Billy