¡Tomatillo!

Hi All,
Harvested and tasted my first Tomatillo ever. ¡Ay, caramba! Those things taste good! (4 grams carbs per 1/2 cup too!)
Figured out when to harvest them too. Wait for the fruit to burst out of the wrapper, wait for the wrapper to turn yellow, and wait for the stem to turn brown.
Wow. I could not believe how they tasted. My wife loved them too. I can believe people make salsa out of them.
And they are growing almost out of control. I got about 25 more (green) fruit on the two of them too. I wish tomatoes were so easy to grow. :-)
-T
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:55:03 AM UTC-4, Todd wrote:

Yep, they're easy. Just leave a fruit or three on the plant and they will s elf-sow for next year, etc... in perpetuity.
On 08/03/2014 07:41 AM, Steve Peek wrote:

Hi Steve,
Thank you!
They were $2.00 per plant from the nursery. Is it better to self sow or to plant them were you want? We have hard freezing winters around here. Any problem with self sowing (sprouts all get frozen at lesat once before planting time)? Can you transplant them? Save the seeds?
My wife and I are still trying to describe how they taste. Noting really gets it. The closest is delicately sweet with a non sour citrus zest, and the slightest hint of honeydew (melon).
-T
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 4:13:57 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:

You can save the seeds, transplant the seedlings or whatever. They're prett y hardy. We have hard winters here as well.
On 08/03/2014 03:10 PM, Steve Peek wrote:

Thank you!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 08/03/2014 03:10 PM, Steve Peek wrote:

Hi Steve,
If I accidentally pick one a little green, will they ripen on the kitchen counter?
-T
On Monday, August 4, 2014 10:42:48 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:

Probably, but try green ones in salsa. That extra bit of tartness is really good. It can take the place of the lime juice.
Higgs Boson said:

Translate) when I need a special character:
http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:54:16 AM UTC-7, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

BLESSINGS!!!! So glad to know about resource!
HB

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:55:03 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

How do you get that neat upside-down exclamation point? Need to order a Sp anish keyboard, or...?
[..]
HB
On 08/04/2014 03:13 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Hi Higgs,
I AM SNEAKY!!!!
Actually, I did
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Ay%2C+caramba
and then pasted from the result into a note pad under "It is spelled". It for things I can not remember how to spell and the spell checker can't find, such as "ignominy" and "Quelle surprise!".
-T
On Monday, August 4, 2014 5:31:03 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

Spanish keyboard, or...?

I admire your sneakiness -- er -- "enterprise". I never would have thought of that!

spell. Soon we will all be gone and the world will little note nor long r emember what we did here.
Suggestion: If you need to check spelling & your search engine can't handl e it (surprised!?) just put what you think into a search engine. It is sm art enough to figure out what you want.
HB
On 08/04/2014 05:53 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I went to Publik skool. Instead of teaching reading with phonics like it has been done for the last bazillion years, they taught "Look See". '"Bed" see the headboards and the pillows.' Consequently I even have trouble sounding things out. Too many "education consultants" in the publik skool system.
My deceased (hospital infection) Mother in law taught 2nd grade and phonics. Whenever the "consultants" came around, she would cover everything up and display their garbage. Funny thing, her 2nd graders, when they finished the 4th grade, still out read their "look see" counterparts. Her principle let her get away with it because he loved her classes reading scores.
I have a drivers license so I can remember how to spell my own name. "Now was that one 'd' or two 'd's?"
> Soon we will all be gone and the world will little note nor long remember what we did here.

Also very sneaky!
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped