Today

I was very busy mowing today, and afterwards checked my new fruit trees, I have a lot of delicious plums (Mt. Royal), they're small but very tasty... next year they should be larger.
http://i54.tinypic.com/w15w8j.jpg
Must be a few hundred, I may cook a bunch with other fruit and spices; compote. I was suprised that they're freestone:
http://i53.tinypic.com/aujzgw.jpg
The two sycamore seedlings I planted ten years ago are now almost trees:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2dvsqc1.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/w4nro.jpg
I couldn't mow everything, we had a monsoon of rain here in the Catskills so I need to wait a few days to finish but what I did mow doesn't look too shabby:
http://i54.tinypic.com/35i3bwx.jpg
Brooklyn1 wrote:

Nice healthy-looking tree.
On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:53:09 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

Thank you. And I didn't spray it with anything. After four years in the ground that's its first crop. I planted a green gage plum at the same time but no fruit yet. The Mt. Royal is supposed to be a good pollinator for the green gage, will need to wait till next year to see what happens. Last two springs here have experienced a late hard frost so blossoms and pollinating insects didn't get to meet... I think the hummingbirds I feed pollinated that tree. Going to have an early fall, night temps are down in the 50s and I see a tinge of yellow on the trees... it's only 64 here at nearly 10 AM, should be about 75.
Stone fruits don't have a June drop like apples, if you want larger fruit you have to thin them at least a hands breadth apart, maybe more.