Tired of bumping my string trimmer

Page 2 of 3

What are you doing with the shovels that's causing the handles to break, and isn't there a different tool for doing that?
--Goedjn
Hi Goedjn,

I don't know his case, but for my case, I had to be very careful when dig up a transplant, or else the handle will break. Nowadays, the handle will not even strong enough for this type of job.
Regards, Wong
-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Handles aren't as strong these days.
And when I hire a kid to do chores, you have to explain to them that a pry-bar is for prying and a shovel is for digging and if they mix them up they WILL snap shovel handles. It does no good of course. They don't listen any better than we probably did at that age.
default wrote:

Some of them break from trying to pry rocks out of the New England soil and some of them get lost in the tall grass and I drive over them with the tractor (or occasionally the mower). In unusual circumstances, the handles will rot from being left out in the weather for several years (those are the ones that last the longest). Shovels get used for quick fence posts, row markers, wheel chocks and anti-woodchuck implements. There must be 1001 ways to (ab)use a shovel.
I *did* put them in the class of tool that were abused.

Indeed - you will spend more over the years replacing the cheap stuff and suffer the frustration of having it break down on you just when you needed it most.
For things that you will use for years like lawnmowers and weedeaters, it pays in the long run to spend some money up front and get a decent one.
I like the Shindaiwa products (I have both weedeater and hedge trimmer) but I understand that the Echo is pretty good and less expensive.
I have an el cheapo Weedeater electric cuz' I need to trim only a few places where the mower cannot get close enough to. While not directly relevant to this tread on gas trimmers I'll put in my 2 cents about string sizes. The bump feed doesn't work so I have to pop out the spool and feed the string. Not a big problem but still a nuisance. Experimented with a thicker line. I haven't seen a motor smoke that fast and destroy itself. So I took it apart to see if I can salvage any useful parts (none). It was obvious the thicker sting caused an imbalance, melted the fiber or plastic bearing and then seized the motor. The lesson then is stick to the recommended string weight. The problem may not show up soon in a motor mounted on bearings but the imbalance is there and will shorten the life of your trimmer.
Note: I will still buy this model, the smallest and cheapest, cuz' it suits my needs.

I have an electric weedeater also. Very reliable, but like yours, the bump feed stopped working almost immediately, so I have to pull out the string by hand. My yard is so small that after 2 years, I'm still on the first roll of string.

trimming

[snip]
Although I generally agree with you about cheap tools, my Homelite trimmer is nearly 20 years old. Other than an occasional change of spark plug, I have had no problems with it whatsoever. Today I started it for the first time this season and it started on the second pull, as usual. But the string does break frequently. I also had a small Homelite chainsaw that lasted more than 20 years, although I did not use it frequently.

like
crank
the
Right, Nothing wrong with Homelite if you have a small yard and use it lightly. Just not well designed - poorly constructed - and not made for real work.
Another thing: On the curved shaft model, notice that the starter pull rope is below the engine. Not an easy job to replace the rope etc. Usually runs $30.00 plus parts (that's what I charge).
Now look at the starter pull rope on an Echo or other mid-range trimmer. Notice it is above the engine on the back. Notice that is is fastened on with four screws. Most home owners can change this themselves in a few minutes.
I mention starter pull ropes because that is a common problem.. However, look at other parts on both types trimmers and imagine how hard or easy it would be to replace them.
Bob

With all those strikes against it already why even buy or have such a peice of poorly designed junk in the first place!

Just spend about double the charge for this service and buy a new one, which is what most folks do to day anyhow, thats why I can pick up this kind of junk from dumpsters and curbside trash just about every day. I melt down the aluminum etc.

Don't find anywhere near as many Echo,.,Stilh, Husky and other top grade stuff as I fo Poulan. McCullough, Homelite and Weedeater junk!

On some of those el cheapo models of trimmers and chainsaws its virtually a real PITA to remove even a carb without 90% of everything else also having to come apart in the process, and its in those hard to access areas is where most of the problems occur, such as a leaking carb mount gasket etc etc........Typical of piss poor design without the aspect of serviceability in mind during the design, as odds are service was never really intended due to the cheapness of these units.

Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
On Sat, 15 May 2004 12:54:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Roy) wrote:

The point is, boys, that I have had to do NONE of those things in 20 years. So it really doesn't matter how hard or easy it is to repair because it has not needed a single repair, not by me or by my local "charge-'em-up" repair shop ($30 for a repair? Dream on!). After 20 years, it owes me nothing. I'm sure an Echo is a better machine, but how good a trimmer does a typical homeowner really need? Didn't sound to me like the OP is in the lawncare business.
I buy good machines for jobs that require durable equipment, and trimming is not one of those situations. The key thing for me is that the trimmer starts reliably. Sometimes it really doesn't make sense to buy a Mercedes when you are just driving to the supermarket.
Hi Tom Miller,

Good point! :-)
This is what I tried to say a lot of time, but can't express it well.
Can I borrow your wording next time when I need it? ;-)
Cheers, Wong
-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m
I'd like to add John Deere to the list of junk string trimmers! I'm peeved because John Deere doesn't honor their warranties.
I bought a John Deere S1400 because there's a dealer nearby, the name recognition, and the hope that John Deere would be a better trimmer than the cheapo trimmers.
It never started easily, and the starter mechanism soon broke. That was replaced under warranty. But next, the muffler fell off. The John Deere dealer says it would require 6 hours of labor to repair (???!!!!) plus parts, and is not economically repairable. The dealer called their factory contact, who wouldn't authorize repairs or replacement, even though the trimmer was still under warranty. The John Deere dealer denied any responsibility.
I'm not likely to ever purchase another John Deere product. I talked about my experience with an arriving farmer who wanted an $8000 mower, and he asked the salesman to explain why JD wouldn't honor my warranty. Don't know the response, because the salesman hustled him into an inner sanctum.
Fortunately, I had purchased the trimmer from Home Depot, who gave me a full refund. Kudos to Home Depot!!! I purchased an Echo SRM 230 trimmer. Starts easily, the bump head works better, is just easier to control, and doesn't "burn my arm" like the John Deere used to do. I'ts a pleasure to use, compared to a HomeLite (?) and the John Deere, and I recommend it to others.
Jack.
wrote in message

Wow, that is so unlike Deere & Co. I would have contacted consumer affairs in Moline, IL, they have a toll free number. I have a Homelite 16" chainsaw that I bought last season for some light tree trimming. This season it is acting up, won't stay running, etc. Now I'm hesitant to take it in for repair but since it is still under warranty, I'll see what happens.
I had a Deere riding lawnmower before I moved to a smaller property and I had nothing but great use with it. I let it go with the house when I sold it and as far as I know, the new owners are still using it.
Please don't let this issue go - contact Deere, I assure you they want to hear from you if you are having problems that don't get resolved by their local personnel. As a company that has been around for more than 100 years, I'm betting they would like the chance to make it right. Email to: snipped-for-privacy@JohnDeere.com Online at: http://www.johndeere.com/en_US/ag/contactus/index.html Or toll free: 1-866-993-3373 (I looked it all up in my John Deere Mower manual).
Now, for weed whackers. I bought a Black & Decker Grass Hog, and I really like it. It's battery powered instead of gas, but the battery holds enough charge to do my entire property in one charge. I too bought mine at Home Depot and the first one I bought was missing a part. No problem, Home Depot took care of it no questions asked. I tried a gas powered unit just once. I found it was too noisy, heavy, hot and cumbersome. With gas over two bucks a gallon, battery is my best bet. My property is 3/4 acre so it's sizeable for a single battery charge to cover.
Good luck with JD.
wrote in message

like
crank
the
throttle
clutch.
the
$200).
balance
for
John
dollars.
it.
you
If you're really tired of bumping that trimmer trade it in for a good pump sprayer and a gallon of roundup!
Bad Bob
"Cook him till he's blue, and smother him in onions."
See if you can get an automatic line feed head for it. No bumping needed.
Just curious, how long had passed since purchase did Home Depot allow the refund? Did they make some sort of special exception?
I have an ECHO SRM 230 trimmer too. Works great. Have a generic trimmer shoulder strap from Home Depot that makes it so comfortable to operate.
CW
On 6 Jun 2004 07:54:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@chartermi.net (Jack Hobbs) wrote:

On 6 Jun 2004 07:54:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@chartermi.net (Jack Hobbs) wrote:

snip
IIRC Homelite is who made the trimmers for JD. I know they bought the company a while back. Weather they own it yet is questionable. JOhn deere is John Deere, and HOme depot would have had to jump through all the smae hoops as a John Deere dealer would to offer you a refund and get a refund from JD in return for their loss, so I would have to assume your main problem was in the dealer you choose to do business with and not JD itself. My local dealer here is a reall a$$hole, and I refuse to deal with him for similar reasons. The dealer I use will bend over backwards for you to please you, and most dealers all know well up front what can and what can't be honored by warranty if they want to take the necessary steps which in all reality your delaer did not want to do. Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Shooter Dude) wrote in message

Try doing the trimming the old-fashioned way, with clippers. Makes whatever problem you have with a string trimmer go away real quick.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There you go. I use round-up, no fuss.
--
I won't retire, but I might retread.