Tips on using fertilizer?

I was wondering, if anybody have any tips on creating and using fertilzer from seafood scraps, such as shrimp heads and shellings.

Wonder if this is any better than the fertilizer sold in stores? Would be pretty cool since I eat seafood pretty often.

Reply to
Phooom

That is pretty much what fish emulsion is. It's just the waste from processing fish, the fillets go to market the organs, heads, tails, etc get turned into fish oil, fish meal and fish emulsion.

I suppose you could take a trowel and bury a bit of it around the garden, my only concern would be that it would attract rodents. Supposedly native americans would place a small fish in the hole with a corn kernel for fertilizer.

Reply to
Snooze

Use the fish scraps as the nitrogen source of your compost.

Reply to
bamboo

We did this when I was growing up in VA, it seems to help. Used fishheads under tomatoes, corn, beans, you name it. We never had a rodent problem due to an army of cats.

Reply to
rickm

Ah. Sounds easy and effective, although attracting rodents would be problematic.

Hmm ... shrimp shellings and heads wouldn't attract rodents would it ...? Maybe an excuse to own a cat.

Reply to
Phooom