Tiny little ants!!

After having my garden weeded and planted at my new house, I find that the garden has a multitude of tiny little any hills, and the tiny little ants are making their way into my kitchen. I solved the kitchen problem by putting a small line of Ajax at the window where they were coming in. But what should I do about the garden? I have tomatoes and eggplant coming in (hopefully), not to mention all kinds of flowers.
I know they're sentinent beings. Don't start.
Thanks!

If your soil is acidic, apply a dusting of agricultural lime (powdered) over the ground. Ants hate chalk. Ants in the garden is not a big concern, unless these are fire ants. They might even help with pollination. For indoors I have used Terro syrup with success.

Well this is good to know. They're not fire ants. I look at them with much less concern now. We can mutually exist in peace now.
Thank you!

Unless you're dealing with fire ants or carpenter ants, you can pretty much relax -- most ants have no interest in your gardens or your house, other than as a freeway from here to there. I think we can rule out carpenter ants from your description of "small": http://citybugs.tamu.edu/FastSheets/Ent-1001.html http://tcebookstore.org/pubinfo.cfm?pubidW2 (click on "read publication"-- it's free online.) http://citybugs.tamu.edu/fastsheets.asp
Really good book about ants: Holldobler and Wilson: The Ants. Springer. 1998.
Kay

In the vegetable garden they really pose no threat. Rinse off the produce before bringing it in and they won't come in.
texas_gardener wrote:

I suppose its POSSIBLE an infestation of aphids would be attractive to ants. But I think the other respondents are correct - probably not a problem in the typical/healthy garden.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Probably pavement ants or pharoah ants, both generically called "sugar ants". Either case, not a problem. I share my garden with pharoah ants.
To control these, if out of hand, use boric acid around the house. Check your pharmacy. Dave
texas_gardener wrote:

The ants in your garden will be of no concern to your plants. And chances are the ants that you are seeing in your kitchen are actually a different type of ant than what you are seeing in the garden, just similar in size and color. Any of the sugar baits placed in the cracks where you think they are gaining access at should be enough to stop them.
Lar