time to plant?

Just bought some fruit trees (all about 5 feet high) on close out. When is the best time to plant them? They are all in 5 gallon buckets now. Any tricks when they are planted to help them take hold well? Is it true that dog hair and oatmeal added to the bottom of the hole before you plant a tree is very good for them?
You forgot to mention sacrificing a live chicken to ward off evil spirits and applying the blood of virgins for good luck!!!
Most importantly, you should do the fertility dance under a full moon, on your front lawn, bare assed naked, shouting at the top of your lungs "Ohm Bwana Ananas Siam"!!!

tree
The fall is the best time to plant trees, shrubs, perennials, etc. They have all winter to develop roots which will greatly increase the ability of that tree to survive next summer.
opined:

I too purchased fruit trees at close out last year. Plant them now so the root system develops over the winter.
Don't forget about "winter watering": if it gets above 40 degrees F, go ahead and givem them water to help further develop the root system. Just because it's winter the root system doesn't stop developing.
Also, I highly recommend you help the trees by buying and using "fruit tree stakes". Made a huge difference this year, my trees grew like mad.
Fruit Tree Stakes 10-13-13 Available from: Domestic Fertilizer, Inc 1750 17th Street Paris, KY 40361
good info also available at: http://www.wa.gov/agr /

tree