Thuja Green Giant Arborvitae

hello, i am considering buying some of these plants and am wondering if they really grow as fast as advertised. i live in s.e. michigan and will be planting in a more shady than not area. also, can anyone suggest a similar fast growing evergreen?

thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

Yes, they do grow fast here in the Atlantic states NY. I never watered it, let nature tend to it and on occasion prune it. Pruning is a very delicate situation with Arborvitae's , you prune the outer leaves and exposes the rotten insides, which leaves you to believe that its dying...its not dying...Now, last Fall i pruned all of the greenery on mine and what was left was the 'rotted' look of the insides. It had to be pruned cause it was getting taller and fuller. Somehow I got the feeling as I look at it to see if some new growth is forthcoming and i see nothing. I even scraped some of the limbs to see if there is any green showing, which is a good sign of life...i've seen none...wondering if anyone else knows that i killed this plant by completely pruning off all its greenery last year.

Reply to
noel888

I strongly suspect you did kill it.

Reply to
Fran

I have 5 planted in a row in heavy clay and full sun. Took them a couple of years to get going, and are now about 7 yrs old, and 12 ' high. I do not water them or trim them as I want a screen. They are very hardy, and can get to 60' tall (more like 30-40' in clay). Do you really want a tree that can get to the height of a 6-story building?

Reply to
Fran

i am more interested in a fast growing evergreen than height it grows to. cj

Reply to
cj

I think this is a far better choice:

brooklyn1

The snow in the Mid-Atlantic this winter laid all mine over. I'll not plant any more.

Reply to
David Modine

All my Kerrie Japonica laid low too. Still I harbor a I guess all will be OK in time. Some of our perennials look real burned but they offer a glimpse of return too.

Reply to
Bill who putters