Thornes, spines and Stinging Nettles!

Living near a particularly revolting bar, I am subjected to repeated trespass or my property and destruction ot same! In the front I planted stinging Nettle! A major success although of questionable legal standing! Are there any plants with spines or thorns that will do the same job with less legal impact?

Reply to
chatnoir

Might depend on where you live (zone/water,etc.) and your local 'setback' and utility eaements etc. But , in many communities, a close neighbor would actually havr to register a complaint for most plants I think.

check out pyracantha.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'd add rugosa roses, hollies and other spiny ornamentals.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Looks great and is not a pest plant outlawed for selling as some I have looked at such as Yellow Star thistle - and I can see why that is outlawed!! I am in zone 5 and xeriscape and like to attract bees! Liiks good but No vendor listed@

like some varieties are pretty well tamed!

Reply to
chatnoir

Will look into it!

Reply to
chatnoir

Agaves, artichokes, Natal Plum

Reply to
Charles

Carl 1 Lucky Texan

> or

Thankyou

Reply to
chatnoir

This is what I always find interesting and confusing!

The Forest Farm site:

Pyracantha angustifolia 'Gnome' (R) COMPACT FIRETHORN Dec (z5)

Pyracantha coccinea 'Harlequin' VARIEGATED FIRETHORN EG (z7)

But Daves Plants lists it as!:

Pyracantha angustifolia - USDA Zone 6b: to -20.5=B0 C (-5=B0 F) as the limit

Pyracantha coccinea - USDA Zone 5a: to -28.8=B0 C (-20=B0 F) as the limit

The USDA site tends to support Dave's plants Position:

I mean over the years I have bought Xeriscapic plants with XXXXX rating

- Could grow on Venus essentially! They are the first to fold in a heat wave! Wii try the Pyracantha coccinea!

Reply to
chatnoir

This is what I always find interesting and confusing!

The Forest Farm site:

Pyracantha angustifolia 'Gnome' (R) COMPACT FIRETHORN Dec (z5)

Pyracantha coccinea 'Harlequin' VARIEGATED FIRETHORN EG (z7)

But Daves Plants lists it as!:

Pyracantha angustifolia - USDA Zone 6b: to -20.5=B0 C (-5=B0 F) as the limit

Pyracantha coccinea - USDA Zone 5a: to -28.8=B0 C (-20=B0 F) as the limit

The USDA site tends to support Dave's plants Position:

I mean over the years I have bought Xeriscapic plants with XXXXX rating

- Could grow on Venus essentially! They are the first to fold in a heat wave! Wii try the Pyracantha coccinea!

Reply to
chatnoir

Perhaps some of the cultivars are more sensitive than the species?

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Looks like a good one!

Bristly Greenbrier Smilax hispida Lily family (Liliaceae)

Description: This native woody vine is up to 10-15' long; it climbs over adjacent shrubs or the lower branches of trees using tendrils. The woody stems are mostly green and round; lower stems are heavily armed with stout straight spines and stiff bristles, while upper stems have few, if any, spines. These spines and bristles become dark brown or black with age. The alternate leaves are up to 5" long and 4" across; they are oval to broadly ovate, smooth along the margins, and hairless. Their margins may have minute teeth, but this is easier to see with a

10x hand lens. Each leaf has 3-7 parallel veins; its upper surface is green, while the lower surface is light green (but not glaucous). At the base of each leaf, there is a slender petiole and a pair of curly tendrils. These tendrils are initially green, but they later become rather stiff and brown. ...
Reply to
chatnoir

-- sockiescat

Reply to