Thinking about gardening

Page 1 of 2
Tjampuhan 11:21 David Parsons Ngaio Gamelan World 100 2 11/12/07 6:55 PM
Things are dying about but seed catalogues keep appearing.
Crank this up sort of makes one want to go scratch the earth.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Gardening, ranching and farming are about the cycle of life. Nothing lasts forever, and some things only last one year. It's all about rebirth and whatever that means to your inner being. I personally like the winter to reflect on what the new season will bring. Prepare. Plan. Then, as it warms up, watch your plan flower of flop. Either way, it's an enjoyable life experience.
Steve
On 11/13/07 6:18 PM, in article ----- snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net,

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

which keeps your hands warmer, gloves or mittens?

OR, you can live here in Texas where it is still in the 80s,which is oh, about 20 degrees warmer than normal.
Jangchub wrote:

77F here today for our high. leather work gloves were in order for the work on hand here today.
global warming or maybe its just a freak year or two in the passing?

mittens, but it can be hard to actually work while wearing mittens. the 'best of both worlds' solutions is to have gloves with a fold back mitten flap. i make my under gloves without fingertips because i need to keep a grip usually <g>, but full fingered gloves under mitten flaps are quite warm, being double layered. lee
On 11/14/07 10:00 AM, in article
wrote:

I've "inherited" the pairs I got DS. They great for scrapping the car and then driving. But, you can't play in the snow with them.

Do you know what snow angels are?
Bill who has mittens that are water proof that go over fleece gloves and some times over a silk glove liner. Had not used that combo for a few years I guess I am wiser?
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On 11/14/07 2:13 PM, in article ----- snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net,

I had a pair of silk liners - those disappeared from my desk on winter.
William Wagner wrote:

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t/h/theplanter/MyDog.html
here is a picture of my dog a few years ago trying to make a snow angel. she tried 3 times.

back before I got real gloves I'd put about 3 pairs of socks on. kind of a poor man's mitten. worked pretty good until they got wet.
enigma wrote:

I think its because the fingers can get next to one another and share their warmth. gloves, because of their separate finger holders won't allow finger contact so there's no warmth sharing.

kind of like trying to type while wearing boxing gloves.

I saw a pair of those at one of the extreme outfitter stores.

sounds like a competitive shooter's glove where the palm is covered with a recoil pad and usually with rubber inserts to enhance grip while leaving the fingers exposed for improved trigger sensitivity. past makes a really good one.

layers, worked for me then I got nice gloves with thinsulate.

i guess... i have nerve damage in my left hand so i type using only my thumb & index finger of my right hand. i found out my left ring & pinkie don't type after paying a nonrefundable # 200 for typing lessons :p however i could type faster & more accurately two fingered than my ex-ISP boss who could type 70 WPM, so it's not a big deal :)

i make mine.

the shooter's gloves i've seen have had a seperate index finger (sometimes covered & sometimes open ended) & the rest of the fingers in a mitten. i haven't tried knitting one like that yet. lee
enigma wrote:

never to accept defeat! it is always good when we overcome what seems insurmountable. good job Lee.

talent admired and noted.

my grandmama could knit and crochet. I'd watch her and not knowing the difference I'd ask, "grandmama are you knitting or crocheting?" sad to say, that knowledge passed on with her.
On 11/15/07 11:52 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net, "Jim"

So take some lessons! C

you can still learn! my 7 year old boy learned crochet in school (not public school obviously) & he's starting to learn to knit, although he really hasn't got the coordination quite yet. he has been rake (frame) knitting since he was barely 5 though & has made a couple hats. the simple way to tell knitting from crochet is that crochet uses one hook & knitting uses 2 or more needles (i like 4 or 5 <g>). rake knitting is like those spool knitters but with more nails to loop around http://www.markmanfarm.com / it's going on winter. you should have a bit of downtime to learn a new skill :) lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be

Depends more on the pair - the pretty ones of either sort are USELESS, but my thinsulate gloves are great as are the pair of windstop polar fleece mittens.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Obviously the OP means each of the same material... would be silly to compare the insulating quality of latex surgical gloves with asbestos oven mitts.
On 11/14/07 2:57 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@o38g2000hse.googlegroups.com, "Sheldon"

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:59:31 -0500, Cheryl Isaak

LOL, Cheryl, I don't think I've ever seen you say anything like that before :_) It gets a LOL AND and smiky face.
Victoria...in Texas where it was 87 degrees today, and it is 50 tonight. Finally cooling off, but it won't last as it's expected to be up around 75 in a few days.