These lawn mushrooms are no fun guys!

You pour a cup of morning coffee and glance out over your lawn. Wait a minute! What are those little white bumps? They weren't there last night. If you've ever had that happen to you, you can sympathize with the frustration felt by this reader...

QUESTION: "What can I do to stop the growth of mushrooms in my backyard? I have to remove them sometimes twice weekly." - Dorothy Branch

ANSWER: Mushrooms (or toadstools) are often a sign that your lawn has insufficient drainage and is staying wet. Addressing the drainage problem is the best first step.

Simply picking the mushrooms won't get rid of the problem. The mushrooms are the reproductive (or fruiting) structures of certain kinds of fungi that are present below the surface of the lawn. The caps contain millions of microscopic spores that are wind-carried until they find a favorable site in which to grow. They then send out long filaments deep into the soil below your lawn.

An excellent online resource is this publication from the University of California

and you can click on a direct link to that report when you find this column under the Plant Man heading at my Web site

Even though picking the 'shrooms won't do much to prevent the underlying problem, the primary reasons for removing mushrooms from lawns are to keep them away from children and pets and to improve the lawn's appearance.

Always bear in mind that some species are poisonous and you should never eat mushrooms picked from your lawn unless you are a fungi expert and you are certain they are edible! It's a good idea to keep a pair of dedicated mushroom gloves handy if removing them really is a frequent chore. This will help to keep the spores off your hands so you don't ingest them or pass them along when you touch Fido or the kids.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a column titled "Turn wet land into spectacular bog garden." Recently I received the following e-mail from a reader: COMMENT: "In light of the concern with rapidly disappearing wetlands and the recent Supreme Court decision concerning filling wetlands as a possible violation of the Clean Water Act, I think you might at least have mentioned wetlands protection and [its] importance. The Corps of Engineers is responsible for monitoring and enforcing activities involving wetlands. I realize you were probably thinking about rather small tracts; still it may not take much disturbance such as excavating soil to come within the terms of wetlands protection." - John Watson

ANSWER: Good point, John. I am a strong supporter of wetlands protection and I'm pleased to take this opportunity to remind readers about the importance of wetlands preservation. As you note, I was specifically talking about those small patches of lawn or garden that are simply "wet land" rather than "wetlands." Again, you can refer to that column by visiting my Web site.

Here's another reader comment that you might find helpful:

COMMENT: "I would like to pass on some information to other gardeners. We have tried to plant a weeping cherry tree three times and every time it grows well and all of a sudden all the leaves fall off and it dies. We were told to use Bayer Systematic Insect Spray. Hopefully this is not premature but it is doing fantastic and so far the cherry tree borer has stayed away from it. I also used it on the crepe myrtles and no longer have the "sootie mold" on the leaves which comes from the aphids. Hope this helps someone." - Bob Steffon

ANSWER: I have not tried that particular product so I have no personal experience, but I'm glad to know it seems to be working for you. I always like to receive ideas and recommendations from readers and then pass them along.

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs and landscaping to snipped-for-privacy@landsteward.org and for resources and additional information, including archived columns, visit

earl

"This reader" needs to get a life, a job, or a hobby.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Good grief, are you serious? Do you really care?

Reply to
Sparky Organic

g'day earl,

for me mate that just means i have good healthy soil with oodles of organic matter in it, the mushies are there doing their bit to help in the break down process and they will of course get fewer and fewer.

so unless they are the edible ones that can be picked i'd either leave them be as they don't last long after the pop out, or just go kick them over and let them return to the soil as organic matter.

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

Does anyone have a favorite book title, for wild mushroom identification? I'm often around where there are wild mushrooms, but have never collected any, because I don't know how to tell the edible ones from the poisonous.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

They are nature's golfballs, get a five iron and get some excercise.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Box turtles like mushrooms. If you live by a field or woods in which box turtles live, throw the mushrooms you pick off the lawn there and perhaps a wandering turtle will have lunch.

Alan

Reply to
nobody

g'day myrl,

maybe visit your local library they are bounbd to have a book, but a word to the wise after read snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

All fungi is not bad. Most are not.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

You are in Sacramento? For your area, the best books are the two by David Arora.

This one is a pocket guide, with many color photos:

one is more encyclopedic:
recommend those in particular not only because they are excellent books, but because the mushroom flora varies from place to place, and they are written by a local expert.

The Audubon guide by Lincoff is also good, but Arora is better for your area.

BEWARE of those generic, large-format, glossy mushroom books sometimes found in bookstores. Many of them are translations of European books and, while there is a good deal of overlap, you would be much better off with a local book.

Finally, I suggest you join (or at least go walking with) a local mycological club. Such clubs usually have a published schedule. Though it can be very pleasurable, mushroom picking is a risky business for most who try to learn it alone. Mushroom ID is no harder than tree ID, but the stakes are higher, and some experienced help is useful for the beginner.

Mike On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike in NC

Reply to
Plant Info

This one is one of the best ones on line covers European and Nort American fungi

-- Granity

Reply to
Granity

lol Hi David.. I never thought to practice my swing with them. I'll have to give that a try, there's this one neighbour's dog I'd love to send some peaceful warnings to ;-)

David Hare-Scott wrote:

Reply to
earl