The Perfect Greenhouse

Hello! I'm looking to build a greenhouse in my backyard. Anyone have experience with building greenhouses? There are so many different kinds I just wanted some input from you all on what types would be best and why. Any suggestions are welcomed! thanks!

Reply to
Terry James

I had a polycarbonate one for about 4 year years. It worked well until the walls started to crack and became cloudy. It was constructed so that if one piece popped out you had to unscrew several of the rails to pop it back in place, thereby having other panels come out too. Real pain. It was a 5 x 9 foot print on concrete. I sold it cheep at the beginning of the year and my husband "stick" built one for me in the same space. There were already 2 x 4's bolted into the concrete. The new one is 8 feet tall on the one side down to 6 feet on the front side. There are 4 double hung windows, a crank out casement window and a roof window. Glass in the top half of the door. While it was pretty full before the spring transplant, there was plenty of space for starting plants. The glass is much easier to clean as you can't use Windex on the polycarbonate. there is not a drain per se but there is a gap where the water can run out. There is a ventalation fan with a thermostat so if it gets too hot and we aren't around to open the windows it will vent some heat. Hope that helps a little. I do have photos if you would like to see them.

Reply to
mj