the mole from hell

Well, finally I saw cyclamen leaves popping up around my dogwoods. I planted them last fall, I bought some big tubers since I couldn't find anywhere here that sold seedlings or anything potted. I was assuming most were dead as I have since learned that tubers do poorly, but oh well. So when some popped up I was so happy. They are right up against the trees and frankly I assumed there were enough tree roots that nothing would disturb them. But a mole tunnel led right up the tree and I found two of them on top of the ground. I guess the stupid thing tunneled as far as it could and then came up and pushed up enough dirt to displace the cyclamen. I am considering putting some metal spikes around the cyclamen tubers to protect them from a future incident, although I guess the mole might be able to go under the spikes and come right up between them and the tree and do the same thing. Are the cyclamen going to be okay now that they have been pushed out of the ground while leafing out?

Reply to
griffon

I sympathize, but at the same time, it's hard not to recall Bill Murray as the insane groundskeeper in "Caddy Shack", attacking the moles with explosives. :-)

But seriously, how about creating hollow things using hardware cloth? That's the wire screen with 1/4" holes. Place the "things" under the tubers. That'll stop the moles, unless they carry wire cutters. It'll also slice the bejeezus out of your fingers unless you roll over your cut edges, but who cares? It's the flowers that matter.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I've got mole runs all over the back yard! They seem to like dog poop, bird seed - at least that's where there are the most tunnels!

Reply to
glenon

That was a gopher, not a mole, Doug. :-)

John

Reply to
B & J

OK....but still outrageously funny. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Great. Reason #1,819 why dogs should be helped toward extinction.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

i don't know about cyclamen specifically, but my dogs tore out several of my glads this spring, just as they were beginning to come up. i just replanted them and they were fine.

-kelly

Reply to
culprit