The End of Cheap Food

Page 3 of 3

Check out Madhur Jaffrey's book World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the Globe. She tracked down traditional (read: easy and delicious) vegetarian recipes from all over. Try "Nigerian Red Kidney Bean Stew with a Peanut Sauce" for your sons. It's basically bean chili with peanut butter added. As Madjur says, "The peanut butter flavor just seams to melt away, leaving only an unctuous sense of creaminess."
I'm a flexitarian who doesn't buy or cook meat myself, but will eat it in social situations to not be rude. We eat a delicious and varied diet for about $35 a week per person. We're chose to do this for moral, health, and environmental reasons.
Environmental reasons? Yes, vegetarian is the new Prius, with a much smaller initial investment. (And you can keep your truck to haul mulch.) University of Chicago researchers found that "when it's all added up, the average American does more to reduce global warming emissions by going vegetarian than by switching to a Prius," reports Kathy Freston on the Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/vegetarian-is-the-new-pri_b_39014.html

I'm a flexitarian who does buy meat and cook it occasionally, because my protein needs *are not* met by a fully vegetarian diet. And I really don't want to be a Prius <G>
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

If I could feel well with out meat, I'd still eat it anyway. I like the taste.
The Prius isn't the panacea it claims to be..C