The Effect Light And Temp Has On Tomato Seedlings

Two years ago I started my tomato plants indoors from seed under grow lights. These plants were started six weeks in advance of planting time. I used a table in our extra bedroom for this project. This room is heated to about 70 degrees and gets a fair amount of sunlight. I kept the grow lights about two inches from the top of the plants. In six weeks time the plants were beautiful and ready for the garden. Last year was a bit different. Sad to say that my seedlings weren't near as nice! I moved my grow area to a room in our basement. This room is much cooler and don't get any extra light except that which the grow lights provide. My plants all wanted to grow tall and spindly. I had to keep repotting them. They done well once I planted them in the garden and I had a good crop. But this year, I'll be growing my tomato seedlings back up in the spare bedroom. I also started peppers and cantaloupes at the same time and it seems to make little difference on these where I start them. Not so with the tomatoes! I start my plants April 1 in my area and plant in the garden May 15.
Rich zone 5-6