The curse of BER

I very well could have overdid it with the nitrogen. I am cutting way back on the fertilize, perhaps none for 2 weeks or so. I just water the plant as much as it needs. Unless my 7 dollar meter is junk that is. When the moisture level at 3-4 inches is just above the dry mark I add water. Some days are cool enough I don't add water for 2 days, others every day.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Your story has changed. You really should have reread what you wrote because "Paul M. Cook" has told us about his inconsistent watering:

Reply to
FarmI

Don't be ridiculous.

I can't be responsible for you inferring something that was not implied. I emphasised watering. Pots only got a mention because that is where the OP is growing the toms and where he has had repeated problems.

LOL. If you can identify it, then perhaps you should say something useful about it? Your silence on the subject says you identify ............. nothing? something?

Your comments, on the other hand, were

So why the silence on a cause?

At least I am making comments that suggests a possible cure in future. You mentioned nothing useful or a possible cause. I mentioned THE most likely cause given what we've been told over the course of this thread about inconsistent watering (depite the OPs current reversal of previous posts).

And that response from you is simplistic and misleading.

IF you had reread the thread, you may have noticed that the OP confesses that 'the whole uniform water has me puzzled', that he waters daily, that he doesn't water daily, that his 22 inch pots get a gallon a day, that his plants wilt in the afternoon, that his plants have only ever wilted twice. IF you had bothered to reread you may then have noticed that my post was about watering. Also IF you had bothered to reread, you may have noticed that even the OP says; 'I can see BER is more of a challenge in container gardening.'

Incorrect watering is certainly not the only cause of BER BUT, the OP is a relative newbie, has stated that he doesn't unserstand consistency with watering (and his story), has had this problem before when planting in pots and is choosing to take the scattergun approach and race all over the place doing everthing but take on board one thing at a time and to try to remedy and therefore deal with the MOST likely cause.

You haven't given any story. You've just blathered on as a result of incomprehension.

Reply to
FarmI

You posted giving a possible cause and possible cure of BER, each relating to growing methodology in pots or removing to the ground. I countered that neither was necessarily a cause nor cure of or for BER.

I stand by that.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the garden. You asked. I gave it.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

LOL. Standing by a statement that is pure bulldust is quite a novel sight even on usenet.

You say I posted about a possible cause and a possible cure that might work. I'd agree, but I even went further than 'possible' by commenting on the "most likely" cause (not the only cause, but the "most likely" cause).

You said nothing at all as to cause or cure.

But then you've never had BER so you don't have no experience anyway.

Your supposed countering claim consisted only of: "so don't go thinking it is inevitable for pots or variable watering. T'aint so.:"

Surely you aren't silly enough to try to stand by that?

It'd be stupid to try to convince anyone that "possible", or "most likely" means the same as "inevitable"?

Snort!

You've never had BER. You didn't tell the OP anything. You didn't give the OP any hints as to cause or cure. You're prepared to stand by a statement that confirms that you either have problems with basic literacy or hope that your readers have such problems.

When you can light even a match that will give off some heat for only a few seconds, let me know.

Reply to
FarmI

This whole thing has turned into quite the conspiracy theory for you, hasn't it. Get over yourself. This is a garden group and we're talking watering plants. Maybe you're just taking a break anticipating the rapture while amusing yourself on World Net Daily?

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

You can bring a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Reply to
Bill who putters

A watched pot never boils. Until you put some water in it and put it over a fire, that is.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Actually I was supporting Farml in my own demented way. I read treads and comment on the tread with a few exceptions and think of rec.gardens as USENET NOT A GROUP.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Tire treads?

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Which end is pointed at the water?

Reply to
Billy

Don't be an asshole. I've been gardening for over 30 years and have visited and tended more than my own garden. You don't know anything at all about my experience.

You're a groping Usenet loon who refuses to own up to a post. Life's too short to read drivel from the likes of you. That time is best spent out of doors doing something useful.

Into the compost pile you go. You can stay there until the Rapture for all I care.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

The only conspiracy here is in your head.

We are here to talk about gardening. So why would you ask a question and then ignore all the people who told you about BER and inconsistent watering?

The rest of us aren't here for your convenience. If you want advice then put some effort into thinking about the responses you're given. If you are going to tell us a whole heap of different stories about your watering habits, if you are not going to take advice that is kindly given, then don't be at all surprised when someone gets sick of your idiocy and yanks your choker chain to try to bring you to heel.

Reply to
FarmI

Enough horses certainly tried to lead him to the connection between BER and watering.

Reply to
FarmI

You said yourself that you'd never had BER. Now you're trying to say you've got lots of experience of it. You can't keep your story straight at all.

LOL. You are the one who won't stand by your own claims. You know you can't justify what you said but now try to blame me. It won't work.

Life's

:-))) Now who was it who was complaining about heat and kitchens? I'm not running, but you certainly are. But given the silly, indefensible things you've said, that's probably a wise thing.

Reply to
FarmI

Reaching into the cruel and obscure corner of the insult bag now.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Now David, be careful, god protects drunks and fools.

Reply to
Billy

Go big or go home. Take no prisoners. This is war, damn it not a game of cricket.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

And doesn't give a rats ass about their victims. If it made sense, they wouldn't call it faith.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Just as well because Fran has a really mean bouncer.

David Hare-Scott