The curse of BER

Page 2 of 5
wrote in message

LOL. Standing by a statement that is pure bulldust is quite a novel sight even on usenet.
You say I posted about a possible cause and a possible cure that might work. I'd agree, but I even went further than 'possible' by commenting on the "most likely" cause (not the only cause, but the "most likely" cause).
You said nothing at all as to cause or cure.
But then you've never had BER so you don't have no experience anyway.
Your supposed countering claim consisted only of: "so don't go thinking it is inevitable for pots or variable watering. T'aint so.:"
Surely you aren't silly enough to try to stand by that?
It'd be stupid to try to convince anyone that "possible", or "most likely" means the same as "inevitable"?

Snort!
You've never had BER. You didn't tell the OP anything. You didn't give the OP any hints as to cause or cure. You're prepared to stand by a statement that confirms that you either have problems with basic literacy or hope that your readers have such problems.
When you can light even a match that will give off some heat for only a few seconds, let me know.

Don't be an asshole. I've been gardening for over 30 years and have visited and tended more than my own garden. You don't know anything at all about my experience.

too short to read drivel from the likes of you. That time is best spent out of doors doing something useful.
Into the compost pile you go. You can stay there until the Rapture for all I care.
Boron
wrote in message

You said yourself that you'd never had BER. Now you're trying to say you've got lots of experience of it. You can't keep your story straight at all.

LOL. You are the one who won't stand by your own claims. You know you can't justify what you said but now try to blame me. It won't work.
Life's

:-))) Now who was it who was complaining about heat and kitchens? I'm not running, but you certainly are. But given the silly, indefensible things you've said, that's probably a wise thing.
wrote in message

I guess I am finding it hard to believe that these plants require such a delicate balance to thrive, or even do reasonably well.
Paul

Then again, the BER just might clear up on it's own.
At one point, IIRC, you said you had 6" or so of bark mulch in your pots. If this is true for the tomatoes, you may want to pull it out and replace all but the top inch with soil, which would increase the amount of water you have available.
--
- Billy
wrote in message

Last year I tried the bark mulch. Not this year, just straight Sta-Green.
Paul

These may be helpful now, or in the future.
<http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8105.html
<http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0309313324323.html?8 7>
--
- Billy

You seem to be increasing the difficulty by looking at everything but the most obvious. Toms aren't all that delicate. They aren't as tough as old boots, but they also aren't very hard to grow if you live in a climate where there is sufficient heat.
If you have 2 ft pots that dry out during the day, you have enough heat. Reread the thread. If you sort out your watering problems and then still have problems, that is the time to come back with questions about additives or other problems etc.
wrote in message

I do not have a watering issue. None, zip, nada, zero. I bought a meter some weeks back and I water when the pots "dry" out but do not get "dried" out. If the 2 times the leaves wilted a very little causd BER, then I will never grow tomatoes again.
Paul

Just for the sake of science, what do you think would happen, if you dug a 2 cubic foot hole, and slid one of those bad boys into it? Could things be worse?
--
- Billy
wrote in message

My soil is extremely hard, alkaline stuff. Almost like cement. It would need a lot of TLC to make it tillable. Plus I don't have very much of it. 75% of my back yard is concrete. So really planters are my only reasonable option.
So far my yellow pears are putting out nice clusters of very healthy fruit. I just found a couple of worm damaged ones tonight but no BER. Same happened last year. I am really thinking the Celebrity is just a temperamental and needy little variety. I'll be trying patio come the end of July. We have warm days and nights past September usually so I can probably get a crop or two in before winter.
Paul

There seems to be someone posting using your name and saying different things over several posts.
wrote in message

I'll repeat, it is *not* a watering issue. Unless these damn things are so delicate they rot out if the moisture fluctuates 1%.
Paul

From the top.
BER is said to occur when there is 1) uneven watering, 2) drought, 3) heavy rainfall, 4) excessive nitrogen fertilization, 5) rapid plant growth or root pruning during cultivation, 6) high winds and rapid temperature changes.
The rapid plant growth and nitrogen fertilization are both common to conditions seen early in the season, when most BER occurs.
THEN IT USUALLY GOES AWAY.
BER occurs because under the above conditions, Ca++ moves from the fruit into the stems of the plant. Some feel that Ca++ never reaches the fruits because under stress, demand for Ca++ exceeds supply.
This reduced amount of Ca++ is what causes BER. Excessive rates of transpiration (kind of like sweating in humans) also is involved in Ca++ displacement. Thus, the plant as a whole is NOT Ca++ deficient, the Ca++ has just been displaced.
University field trial experiments have so far failed to show that BER can be prevented by addition of Ca++. Peppers and some cole crops are also susceptible to BER and Ca++ addition for those crops also.
The results are the same; addition of Ca++ does not prevent BER.
--
- Billy
In article

BER is said to occur when there is 1) uneven watering, 2) drought, 3) heavy rainfall, 4) excessive nitrogen fertilization, 5) rapid plant growth or root pruning during cultivation, 6) high winds and rapid temperature changes.
The rapid plant growth and nitrogen fertilization are both common to conditions seen early in the season, when most BER occurs.
THEN IT USUALLY GOES AWAY.
BER occurs because under the above conditions, Ca++ moves from the fruit into the stems of the plant. Some feel that Ca++ never reaches the fruits because under stress, demand for Ca++ exceeds supply.
This reduced amount of Ca++ is what causes BER. Excessive rates of transpiration (kind of like sweating in humans) also is involved in Ca++ displacement. Thus, the plant as a whole is NOT Ca++ deficient, the Ca++ has just been displaced.
University field trial experiments have so far failed to show that BER can be prevented by addition of Ca++. Peppers and some cole crops are also susceptible to BER, and Ca++ additions have been made for those crops also.
The results are the same; addition of Ca++ does not prevent BER.
THEN IT USUALLY GOES AWAY.
--
- Billy
wrote in message

I very well could have overdid it with the nitrogen. I am cutting way back on the fertilize, perhaps none for 2 weeks or so. I just water the plant as much as it needs. Unless my 7 dollar meter is junk that is. When the moisture level at 3-4 inches is just above the dry mark I add water. Some days are cool enough I don't add water for 2 days, others every day.
Paul

wrote in message

This whole thing has turned into quite the conspiracy theory for you, hasn't it. Get over yourself. This is a garden group and we're talking watering plants. Maybe you're just taking a break anticipating the rapture while amusing yourself on World Net Daily?
Paul

You can bring a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
wrote in message

A watched pot never boils. Until you put some water in it and put it over a fire, that is.
Paul