The Best And The Worst Heirloom Tomatoes

Last season was an experiment in growing heirloom tomatoes. Zone 5-6 central Pennsylvania. I grew about a dozen different varieties and was slightly impressed with only one. That being Pruden's Purple. Tomatoes were of nice size with good flavor and averaged about ten to twelve fruit per plant. The rest of the heirlooms were quite nasty in all respects with the worst of the lot being Kelloggs Breakfast tomato. The fruit from these had a core the size of an apple. Of the hybrids I grew, Jet Star won hands down. Jet Star won a spot in my garden this coming spring for sure! The other hybrids I will try this season include Lemon Boy, Super Fantastic, Better Boy, Big Beef and Early Girl. I'll also be trying a sweet bell pepper called Big Bertha which I hope do well in my growing zone. Put in a small 4'x12' asparagus bed last year using one year crowns. Had lots of ferns so hopefully this spring I'll be harvesting my first batch of asparagus also. Neighbor told me to put rock salt on the bed to control the weeds but not sure yet if I want to do that or not. This is only my third year having a vegetable garden and it's lots of fun puttering around with it. Only have about

400 sq. ft. or so but that's plenty for the wife and I.

Happy Gardening :) ............... Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

Put in a small

Cut lightly the first two years and only if there seems lots of vigorous shoots. If you cut too heavily before they are developed you will set them back. Feed heavily (horse is great) once established.

Neighbor told me to put rock salt on the bed to

It sort of works because asparagus is somewhat tolerant of sodium where most plants are not. The problem is if you over do it you will destroy the soil structure and chemistry. The excess sodium will drive all the other cations out (calcium, magnesium, potassium etc) and almost nothing will grow there. Safer to mulch heavily.

This

That's a good size for two people

David

Reply to