That odd straight across pruning method recently mentioned

Page 1 of 2
I'm curious about the details of that pruning method that some Brits use for bushes. You know, the one where you just make a straight cut across the middle top of the bush. Does anyone have any details about it? Where do you choose your line? Do you do any other "lateral" pruning. Etc. Etc.
My big Aloha is getting rangy and "tall growing" instead of its normal bush form. I'd like to get it back to normal if possible. It's now about 10 feet tall in the middle but looks sparse on the side. It used to be really round. If this odd pruning method can help, I'm game. My previous pruning methods haven't really helped the shape of the bush.
You will find an article on pruning on the Bexrose web site at:- http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose
Regards
Martin Double Bexrose - Webmaster
Email: snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com Web Site: http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:16:03 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"

As much as I appreciate the help, I know all of that stuff. Anyone who's listened to me pratter on on this newgroup for the past couple of years can attest to that.
Besides, I've probably to about 5 books that say the exact same thing.

That must be good advice then if you have five books in agreement with our own article on pruning! Perhaps that say's something in itself?
On the question of pruning straight across, I recall the Royal National Rose Society (foolishly) advocate this method on one occasion, but they have since rescinded that advice. The method did not choose any particular line to cut to for individual stems, it was more a case of "hedge cutting with a hedge trimmer or lawn shears". This method might appear to work to start with on vigorous bushes but die back will be extensive which will eventually weaken and/or make the rose look unsightly.
Our society has many rose exhibitors in its ranks, many of national level, we can also boast at least four national champions. Articles about the cultivation of the Rose on the Bexrose web site are probably more meaningful than the lay-rose grower would appreciate at first sight.
So for the best of the best look again at:- http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose and don't forget to read it all, and between the lines!
Enjoy
Martin Double Bexrose - Webmaster PS they say you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink! - Have you tried holding his head under?!
Email: snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com Web Site: http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:40:44 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"

Yes, it says that, while it's OK to offer that *widely* available information on *your* web site (only one of dozens of websites that give the same information I might add), next time, please read the post before you promote your site instead of relying on a simple keyword to trigger some sort of quasiautoresponsebot sort of response.
It will do your cause well, instead of causing people to ignore possible HELPFUL posts from you, as well as possibly avoiding the very website that you are trying to promote.
Don' worry though, once you've been in the newsgroups awhile, you're likely to catch on.

Since you chose to raise the topic, I will mention that your own posts to urg have done your own cause, whatever that might be, a great deal of harm, so why don't you just bugger off?
The Bexhill Rose Society is doing everybody interested in roses a great service maintaining their excellent website.

Put that in front of a mirror.
Franz
Franz Heymann wrote:

Hey Martin aka "Franz." You looked like an idiot when you were just popping up at every moment promoting your half-assed web site. Now that you are talking to yourself via a sock puppet you look even worse. We can read HEADERS, moron.
lol
Just when I thought this group wasn't fun any more!

In that case, take the trouble to read them correctly.
Franz
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:05:01 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

Martin:
bigbe1.bellsouth.net!bigfeed2.bellsouth.net!news.bellsouth.net!elnk-atl-nf1!newsfeed.earthlink.net!newshosting.com!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!feed.news.tiscali.de!news.belwue.de!news.uni-stuttgart.de!carbon.eu.sun.com!btnet-feed5!btnet!news.btopenworld.com!not-for-mail
Franz:
bigbe1.bellsouth.net!bigfeed2.bellsouth.net!news.bellsouth.net!cyclone1.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!peer01.cox.net!cox.net!newshosting.com!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!feed.news.tiscali.de!news.belwue.de!news.uni-stuttgart.de!carbon.eu.sun.com!btnet-feed5!btnet!news.btopenworld.com!not-for-mail
Whoops...close enough for me...
BUSTED.
You know, guys like you give the communities a bad name. and you've just given your client's website a black eye.

l-nf1!newsfeed.earthlink.net!newshosting.com!nx02.iad01.newshosting.co m!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!feed.news.tiscali.de!news.belwu e.de!news.uni-stuttgart.de!carbon.eu.sun.com!btnet-feed5!btnet!news.bt openworld.com!not-for-mail
1.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!peer01.cox.net!cox.net!newshosting.com!nx02. iad01.newshosting.com!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!feed.news.t iscali.de!news.belwue.de!news.uni-stuttgart.de!carbon.eu.sun.com!btnet -feed5!btnet!news.btopenworld.com!not-for-mail
Nope. You still have it wrong.
Franz

Then you prove you don't understand headers. Both use the same isp, so its not surpriding that posts take the same route. All those headers are is the route news takes.
If you look at the other headers, you'll see that the versions of Outlook used are different (not conclusive in itself, but in conjunction with the totally different posting styles and contents, its pretty obvious to me that they are not the same.)

Now wait for the wrongful arrest charges.
--
regards andyw

Certainly not conclusive in itself. Heck, I've got two different versions of Outlook Express on two different computers in this very room (I never bohered upgrading the one on the seldom used computer in the network, mainly because I don't even bother using Outlook in the first place). But if I *did* use Outlook, depending on which computer I used, that would determine the version of Outlook on my headers. If I had a work computer, which I don't, I'd bet that it would be different as well. And a possible laptop? Sure, might be a fourth one.
As to the "totally different posting styles and contents", that's what sockpuppeting is all about, innit?
That's some crazy people that they have using that ISP which suddenly starts popping up on rec. garden.roses. It *must* be a coincidence, since that ISP is as huge as demon...
[snip]

You are once again showing what a failure you are as far as deductive powers are concerned. The ISP I use is run by British Telephone, which is the major telephone company in the UK, so it is not a notable coincidence if two urglers use it.
If you had had any powers of observation, you would also by now have noticed that I make no secret of the fact that I live at the top of Wensleydale and the Martin who supports the Bexhill Rose Society posts from Bexhill (there are at least 3 Martins who participate in urg). If you knew how to use a ruler, and you could lay your hands on a map of the UK in that benighted part of the world you live in, you might be able to establish for yourself that the distance between those places is more than 300 miles.
Franz
Franz Heymann wrote:

Gawd but I do love it when you provincial types get aroused.
You suck, "Bexrose" sucks, and bluff will get you nowhere. HTH.
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:32:30 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

My cause, as you put it, was not to be lectured by someone when I'm trying to get information that was recently posted on this newsgroup. there's nothing new about pruning on the Bexrose site and I was specifically requesting information about a specific (even if Mr. Double thinks it's wrong) pruning method that sounded controversial enough to be interesting.

Well, you and I differ on the quality. It's not a bad site, but it's not "the best of the best", in my humble opinion. Not even close. I can guarantee you that I won't be monitoring it, giving Mr. Double any more "hits", as it matures.

You first. Lecture all you want.
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:40:44 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"

It's not a bad site for a UK specific website. It's an immature site that I'm sure will grow with time. But it's hardly "the best of the best". It's barely adequate. It doesn't address very many rose issues and is pretty much barebones.
For instance, *our* local website has FAR more valuable information regarding roses.
http://www.nashvillerosesociety.com /
I don't care much for the look and feel of the NRS site, but it still offers practical information about the challenges that our area offers (issues that are FAR different than the issues that the UK growers face).
So, drop the smugness and get on with building your site.
PS, we have quite a few National winning members as well, including a well-known breeder or two *and* Ted Mills, who makes one of the most famous rose formulations sold in the States. I haven't been a member for a couple of years, but I still consult the website on occasion.
Your site frankly doesn't need your bluster.
Thank you once again for your kind words, your not a related to that grape grower are you?
Just to make a few points double'y clear!!:-
* I need to respond when information about our web site is incorrect, obvious really! * Agreed the Bexrose web site is a young site having been started at the beginning of this year (rather that immature, grapes again!). * We are working on developing the site as can be clearly seen from my postings here that are frequently reporting new stuff being added to the site. * If you care to read the articles on our web site you will find that they not only provide good information (as given by some others of course, but should we leave this out? of course not!) but also information and advice not given elsewhere to my knowledge. We are definitely not into plagiarism we have no need with our experience! * Lumping your two last points:- I am not worried in the first instance I think that I have caught on sufficiently to know that even Anti-Postings make good advertisements. This is proven to me by the hit count and by direct emails for the newsgroup readers. * I have not seen your own site yet but I am looking forward to taking a browse. I'll let you know what I think.
Thanks once again for your own bluster, it all helps!
Regards
Martin Double Bexrose - Webmaster
Email: snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com Web Site: http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:16:39 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"

Well, that cinches it. You're officially an asshole...with a website...go figure...
Goodbye.

And to be even more frank, uk.rec.gardens needs your bluster even less.
Franz
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:56:22 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

Well, tell your "Double" to stop crossposting then. My original post was rec.gardens.roses ONLY.
Wenn ich unhflich war, wrde ich "Halt's Maul" sagen.