tent caterpillars in fruit trees

I've had an orchard for four years. This year, the tent caterpillars have decided they are taking over. Can you tell me, besides using BT, what are some other ways to get rid of these pests? Should I have sprayed with BT earlier, like before they went into pink bud, or can I spray now that they are blooming? What would make them come in this year instead of last or the previous years?

Reply to
cvnativeinpa

Most things have boom and bust cycles, caterpillars are no different. Wrap a kerosene soaked rag around a stick, light,and give the tents a hot foot.

Reply to
bamboo

You don't want to spray any insecticides while the trees are blooiming, or you will kill the benefical pollinators. You can start spraying after petal fall.

I would try to kill the caterpillar eggs next winter with dormant oil. It will smother the eggs, thus killing the pest.

Other insecticides that don't harm beneficial insects are insecticidal soaps, spinosad (Conserve), and azadirachtim (Azatin). Aso, l insecticides include carbaryl (Sevin), malathion, acephate (Orthene) and permethrin.

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

Just had another idea. There is a product called Tanglefoot which you can spread around the trunks in a band. The caterpillars who try and climb up the tree to lay their eggs will get stuck in it. If you have young or thin bark trees, you might want to apply the tanglefoot to a closely wrapped band. Won't help you this year, but possibly the next. This method also works for other critters that climb up your trees to lay eggs like codling moth, procession caterpillars, and ants. . Controlling ants reduces scale, aphids and mealy bug problems, as the ants protect these pests.

Sherw> I've had an orchard for four years. This year, the tent caterpillars

Reply to
sherwindu

Sorry for the multiple replies, but I recall that I'm having difficulty this year with aphids. This could be because of the cool damp weather that has prevented the natural predators of aphids, like lady bugs and wasps from controlling their numbers. I don't know if this also holds true for tree caterpillars.

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

Caterpillars don't lay eggs.

Reply to
Travis M.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

OK, I got confused about the life cycle of these caterpillars. It is the moths that lay the eggs. For that case, I might try spraying with dormant oil in the late Winter or very early Spring, to smother the eggs. This would require the penetration of the tent with the sprayer wand.

For anyone interested in the life cycle of these pests, check the following web site:

This and other sites recommend a few ways to counter this pest, and I am not sure why they do not recommend dormant oil as an alternate treatment. Maybe they feel that something like BT is more effective in killing the eggs.

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

From what I found, you can't just simply spray the tree with BT. You have to penetrate the tent with your spray wand to be effective.

Sherw> you can spray with Bt, a live bacteria that only targets caterpillars at any time of

Reply to
sherwindu

Sray BT in the tent. It will only kill Caterpillers and is safe. You can get it in liquid or powder.

Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down town Yountsville. Managers of the water works.

Mel-Donnie Kelly

What is "BT" please - the full name.

I want to google it to find out more.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Bacillus thuringiensis var kurstaki

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

Thanks.

I read the MSDS and it doesn't sound too scary.

Is this stuff available to the general public, or do you need to have some sort of license to buy it? I've never seen anything in the mega-stores or the local garden stores with BT listed in the ingredients.

I have a lot of black cherry trees, and the tent caterpillars are a problem.

Reply to
Ether Jones

"Ether Jones" expounded:

BT is a biological control, it won't hurt people at all, only caterpillars.

Reply to
Ann

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

"Ether Jones" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

it's a bacteria that only affects caterpillers. it's not likely to be in any of the nasty chemical crap found at big box stores. try looking online for natural pest control or organic pest control. lee

Reply to
enigma

Home Depot had 2 BT products, I bought Dipel (a powder) there. Check the websites of your personal favorite stores. It was also inexpensive. haven't used it yet but I am prepared for the onslaught my 'Whiskers' Brugmansia will likely see again this year.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Just remember that it is indiscriminate, it kills ALL caterpillars, including the butterflies and moths that you may enjoy seeing. Use it wisely and be sure to get the right variety. There are a lot of different types of Bt for different species/problems.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Could you elaborate just a bit more what you mean by "different types" of Bt?

Reply to
Ether Jones

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) :) :) Could you elaborate just a bit more what you mean by "different types" :) of Bt? :) :) B. thuringiensis var kurstaki attacks caterpillars B. thuringiensis var israelensis attcks the fly family (mosquitos) B. thuringiensis var san diego or B.t. var tenebrionis attacks beetles

Reply to
Lar