Taming an Overgrown Forsythia

Hi all.
I've let a Forsythia in the back yard grow without pruning for some ten years now.
I'd like to bring it under control.
I think I can figure out how to prune it back, and let it recover next spring. What I don't know is how to get rid of the secondary roots. It has arched over and rooted itself in areas that I want to return to lawn. Do I have to dig up the roots? How deep do I have to dig?
I know almost nothing about gardening.

Forsythia is pretty durable. So you can prune it back pretty hard, and it will recover.

Never done this with a forsythia, but you can probably just pull them up (if they come out), or dig enough to get out the main clump of roots. If they keep coming back, keep pulling them up. Well, you'll have to do that anyway, if it is like most forsythias (at least by reputation, ours is in a shady spot and was pretty overgrown by other plants including poison ivy, so we haven't yet experienced this firsthand).
Jim Kingdon wrote:

I've had same problem. Just whacked it back cutting off extensions. Think I did it in the fall but I think any time would work.
Frank
cut the connection between the plants and you may be able to pull the rooted ones up (in dry sand or wet clay). cut out the oldest 1/3 and still get bloom next year. if you continue to mow you can stop this tipping from happening. Ingrid
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:28:17 GMT, "David Cressey"