Systemic pesticide for roses

Page 4 of 5

Easier not to buy.
On 5/6/2009 6:19 PM, Freckles wrote:

I use Bayer's granular Rose & Flower Care so that I can spread it over much of each plant's root zone. I dig it in so that passing birds won't think it's gravel for their digestion.
When you use spikes, be sure to focus your watering in an area around each spike. Don't over-water. While roses like a lot of water, they don't like a soggy soil.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
"see Organization header" <""nobody\"@nowhere.not (see Organization header)"> wrote in message

About 25 years ago I lived in Culver City, California.
I had a rose garden with about a dozen T roses. They grew beautifully and I never had to use any pesticides or anything else except for an occasional dose of fertilizer. Texas is a different story.

Could we have a citation on that? And what did you think that people do in gardening groups?
--

- Billy

You contemptuous old bag of crap. You run from the truth as if it was scalding water. Hope you enjoy your view from the other side of the sod, soon.
--

- Billy

I know where you could stick it and protect the environment at the same time.
--

- Billy

Yes, enough soapy water could be dangerous, but that's not what we are talking about. Why don't you look up the MSDS on the products that you suggest and see what their environmental impact is? When the oil runs out, top soil will be the only thing between us and starvation. Try to save a bit of it. It's disappearing very quickly.
--

- Billy
wrote: ...

Don't believe it. I used Milorganite over one acre of land, and the deer kept coming. Human hair and Irish Spring don't work either. The things that might protect plants from deer are
electric fence fifteen foot fence netting tall grass or wire mesh (chicken wire) on the ground pit bull a lot of deer stew
Of course, there are different kinds of deer depending on your location. We have "mule deer" in east TN, they are large with large ears.

You didn't mention motion activated sprinklers.
--

- Billy
Phisherman wrote:

A 5 wire electric fence finally fixed the problem.
--
Sheila
http://swdalton.com
"Sheila" wrote:

like having deer around. Besides, they supply free fertilizer.
\
brooklyn1 wrote:

They may supply free fertilizer, but you won't have anything to fertilize.
--
Sheila
http://swdalton.com

And this is about as organic as it gets:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2w3ukqd.jpg
I don't know... nothing to fertilize... looks mighty green to me:
http://i43.tinypic.com/w1a1x3.jpg
And I can plant whatever I want and do, just not what the critters like where they can get to it... do you leave big bowls of M&Ms out where your obese kids can get to it, jugs of booze where your alkie hubby can get to it, would you leave tonight's burgers out where your dog can get to it... of course not, and only an idiot would plant deer's favorite greenery within their easy access. And if you don't like the deer you should have stayed in your inner city tenement appartment, the muggers wouldn't bother your potted fern.
brooklyn1 wrote:

It looks to me like you have to have fences around what you plant too, at least we don't have to fence our new trees.
--
Sheila
http://swdalton.com
"Sheila" wrote:

Depends on the tree and its size... fruit trees, whether ornamental or not, are at greater risk... but after like five years the saplings grow tall enough that the fences can be removed. I don't mind the fences, if it's something I want to grow and don't want eaten by critters then I fence... there'd be no way for me to have a vegetable garden otherwise. And still there are the birds, so I also net. I'm not into conservatory gardening.
brooklyn1 wrote:

Aw, so you have the same problem with deer that I do. We are having to fence in our back yard, but it is certainly worth it to live in the country. I grew up on a working cattle farm and missed the country when I had to live close to a city for work. Now, I'm able to live in the country again.
--
Sheila

On 5/4/2009 10:08 PM, Freckles wrote:

Okay. This thread has generated more heat than light.
On one side are the organic-only dogmatics, who can't accept that (1) some natural, organic materials are more toxic than their artificial, non-organic replacements. On the other side are the "the rest of you be damned" polluters, equally dogmatic. Those of us who are pragmatists and sometimes use organic methods in our gardens and sometime do not have been insulted by both sides.
I have kill-filed this thread and will no longer participate.
I have kill-filed at least one participant who has a compulsion to answer every single message, whether he can add anything useful or not; instead, he only adds rudness and insults. I have kill-filed another one whose prose is more toxic than anything I could mix with the chemicals in my garage.
Two blocks from my home is a community garden with an "organic only" rule. I don't participate because not everything I do in my own garden follows organic principles. The people who do garden there are my friends. They accept why I don't have a plot in the community garden. They don't try to change me, and they don't shun me.
That's the way participants in this newsgroup should behave, not as if they are prosylitizing for a religion. Unfortunately, several participants in this thread have been acting as if theirs is the only way to God.
Good-bye from this thread. NO, I'm not abandoning rec.gardens. But if you post a message there that I seem to ignore, I might not have seen it. News reader filters can be very effective.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

And thus another Monsanto Dracula shrinks from the illumination of enlightenment. Good riddance. People who can't justify their follies, should insinuate themselves into the shadows. Follies in the sense of its' French meaning, "madness". What else could one call the attacking of our life support system on this planet? This planet that bore us and cared for us. And what do these fools complain of, that they are reprimanded for poisoning the air, the water, the soil, and the food. Chemical fertilizers kill soil. Pesticides kill soil. Herbicides kill soil. GMO "Roundup" ready plants allow them to kill more soil. Do they make sensible counter arguments? No. Because there are none. Pesticides allow you to kill a pest at little effort but these fools don't want to consider the consequences. The pests can be controlled in other manners. Like David who wishes to spray poisons for a cosmetic problem. David is a southern Californian to who appearances are everything. Worth more than life itself apparently. For any pest there is a solution that won't poison the environment. You may have to make more of an effort, but you will be saving the planet. -----
But back to the polyphenols, which may hint at the nature of that link. Why in the world should organically grown blackberries or corn contain significantly more of these compounds? The authors of Davis study haven't settled the question, but they offer two suggest theories. The reason plants produce these compounds in the first place is to defend themselves against pests and diseases; the more pressure from pathogens, the more polyphenols a plant will produce. These compounds, then, are the products of natural selection and, more specifically, the coevolutionary relationship between plants and the species that prey on them. Who would have guessed that humans evolved to profit from a diet of these plant pesticides? Or that we would invent an agriculture that then deprived us of them?
pg. 79 The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (Amazon.com product link shortened) 83/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid06815576&sr=1-1
--

- Billy
Dave,
David E. Ross wrote:

On the Monterey Peninsula California mountain lions have been killing deer. There have been kills in residential neighborhoods practically in downtown Pacific Grove and Carmel
--
Prunedale California
Prunetuckey-By-The-Slough