Sycamore tree has mildew

folks:

my 30 ft. tall Sycamore Tree has mildew. I can't do a spray of the tree with any fungicide since it's too tall. is there a systemic solution to getting rid of this fungus?

additionally, the 2 neighboring trees also have the same symptoms. is this fungus "contagious". do i need to treat the other 2 trees as well?

thanx =b

Reply to
Bharat P. Baliga-Savel

There is a systemic thing that tree services can apply, but based on my experience 20 years ago with a huge sycamore, it's not worth it. Before we knew better, we paid big bucks to have these little vials stuck into the tree. The next year, the disease was gone, and the year after, it returned. We later learned that it varies from year to year, and is totally absent in some years. The best solution is neatness, we were told. Although it's nice to use leaves as mulch, you should not do this with infected sycamore leaves. Bag them and get rid of them. Chemicals will be a waste of time and money.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Oh....I forgot to mention that our tree, which was given 2-3 years to live (by a tree "expert"), is still alive 20 years later. It still gets the fungus to an extent, but apparently, the tree doesn't care much.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Sycamores tend to get anthracnose. Mine get both anthracnose and some type of gall. It is only a cosmetic problem and no treatment is indicated.

Reply to
Vox Humana