Sweet Woodruff

I bought a small sweet woodruff plant and divided it into three pots. One grew so well in a east window then I planted it outdoors in partial shade (2-3 hours of dappled sun) where it slowly died off. I put a nylon sunscreen over it during the intense summer sun for added protection. The other two are struggling along now, the top part is dead, but small plants are starting to grow. I put a plastic tent of the plant to increase humidity. Anyone have any luck with this plant? It seems to be very temperamental and seems to grow better indoors than outdoors. I have not fertilized it and they were potted using MiracleGrow potting mix. Outdoors, I mixed in compost. I bought it for the intention of a semi-shady area groundcover. In zone

7, e.TN. TIA
Reply to
Phisherman

I've never heard of it being a hard one so long as it doesn't get too much sun. Mine grows in dry shade under the eaves between two enormous shrubs, &amp it carries on "good enough" in a location so uninhabitable even weeds don't grow there (but white English bluebells do). It would rather have moister shade & if I wanted it to be more than "good enough" I'd have to get water to it, but I can't see much into that area anyhow so I let the sweet woodruff struggle on without my assistance.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

er....whyfor you had it planted in pots???

i live in usda zone 4a and the Galium does beautifully at the bottom of my steps facing south. i've given it no special fertz or growing mixtures and it's doing great. granted i do not have "intense heat" except for perhaps 30 days of it in august and, granted, too the little white flowers don't come out before may

1st, but they do come out and i do make may wine and terrific relaxing tea.

Reply to
SKYlark

Reply to
Phisherman

I have it growing in a rock garden area in full shade..it is a super groundcover. It takes off and over but easy go contain. I is a neat plant with little white flowers in early spring

alice zone 6 WNC

Reply to
alice

In article , Phisherman writes: |> I bought a small sweet woodruff plant and divided it into three pots. |> One grew so well in a east window then I planted it outdoors in |> partial shade (2-3 hours of dappled sun) where it slowly died off.

I doubt that it is the sun that worries it, but the drought. It is a northern European woodland plant, and is adapted to relatively cool, damp summers - not necessarily ones as damp and cool as in the UK, but more so than over much of the USA.

It does fine with me in the open, where it gets no more than

4 hours of sun in summer. But that is UK sun - which is usually pretty feeble.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

AT:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

Dappled sun is good, but is it the hot, afternoon sun? Heat is not good. Also, in my experience with this plant (Zone 5, however), I've found that it seems to take awhile to be come established and resents transplanting.

Hope this helps a bit :) Suzy in Wisconsin

Reply to
S Orth

Reply to
Phisherman

Zone 4a?!! My poor, struggling plant (in a pot, outside) nearly succumbed to 1st frost in zone 7b. I brought it inside and while a lot of it died. Some new leaves emerged and it's overwintering in my kitchen. I'm most familiar with it growing rampant in shady locations in the SF Bay area, and assumed it wasn't at all frost-tolerant. I see now I was wrong. Wonder why *my* plant is so sensitive?

Sidebar: I noticed a faint vanilla-like scent near the plant (before I got this dratted cold) and was interested to find that it contains coumarin, which is used to make 'fake' vanilla. My nose knows!

Reply to
Frogleg

Well, I can tell you it doesn't like full sun and hot summers. Mine croaked in one summer on the deck.

Reply to
fran

I2 inch pot of Sweet Woodruff turned into 180*40 foot patch in 30 years. This in moderate shade. It likes to have the winter cover of oak leaves removed early. I am thinking about the raking as I type this. Don't forget using the flowers in may wine.

Best

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Completely OT- I love the physics quote in your tag. Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword