sweet potatoes

I am going to plant a row of yams in the spring.Forgot the procedure about sprouting the roots (called something else) and when to plant. any tips appreciated

Reply to
HL B123

Are you growing sweet potatos (ipomoea) or yams (diascorea)? I don't know much about the latter but sweet potato need warm conditions and full sun. In cooler areas plant after the last frost. Given plenty of manure they will grow quickly and you will need to water them in dry weather as the extensive leaf system will wilt easily. If the soil is likely to get waterlogged plant them in hills to improve drainage. I don't do anything special to sprout the roots, if the soil is warm and damp they will grow.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

plant sweet potatos in a box of moist sand and keep in a warm area until shoots sprout from the potato. When the shoots are about 15 cm long pull them off the potato and keep them bedded in a bucket of moist sand and they will put down roots until you are ready to plant out.

rob

Reply to
George

Why?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

why? because that is how sprouting sweet potato is done.

rob

Reply to
George

OK but why do they need to be sprouted at all and why pull the sprouts off, what purpose does it serve? Would it not be simpler to just plant the whole thing where it is to grow?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

to easy hl,

we have suggestions on our site:

snipped

Reply to
gardenlen

Thanks to david,rob and len for your instructions. I have not planted sweet potatoes since I was 8 or 9 years old.but decided to this year just for the heck of it. Len the web site you gave is very informative, it will take some time to review it all . thanks

Reply to
HL B123

not sure David, I just follow the instructions passed on to me.

rob

Reply to
George

Passed on from what authority, site your reference.

Reply to
brooklyn1

It can be done either way. I have done it with slips or the tuber.

Usually I just start the sprouting method by placing the end of the SP Into a glass jar/bottle of water and wait for the sprouts. (This is what I do to get a SP vine to keep on the window sill for ornamental enjoyment.) When the sprouts are about 6 inches long, remove and place in water or sand until roots show. (sprouts are called "slips") Plant out in the ground when its warm.

Other way is to put the tuber directly in the ground. I didn't cut it up at all.

Sweet potato plants cover an amazing area of ground and make a good ground cover. In either method be sure the tuber has not been treated so that it won't sprout. (Mine have always sprouted) It seemed that the slip method took longer, but that was just observation; other conditions may have been a factor. With the tuber method the new potatoes were all crowded together; with slips you can spread them out.

Emilie NorCal zone 8

Reply to
mleblanca

g'day emilie,

"emilie pointed out, Sweet potato plants cover an amazing area of ground and make a good ground cover."

they don't need to be let ramble all over the place they can be kept trimmed back or like we do just pull the runners back over the top of the central plant and keep it tidy that way. by pruning back you can be creating growing slips continually if so desired, just stick the slips in water until they root or direct plant.

also they will grow in shaded places and still produce, they are a fairly versatile plant.

not to foget the young grow snipped

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:20:24 -0800 (PST), mleblanca wrote: snipped

Reply to
gardenlen

Yates Garden Guide, first published in 1885 and over 1 million copies sold.

rob

Reply to
George

You need to do better, no one can access the information in that book unless they own or buy a copy or you supply an URL. You could have at least scanned that section of your copy so folks can read the precise account. Posting a reference that can't be readily accessed is no reference at all. The various references on line give somewhat different directions from what you claim to paraphrase.

I wonder why the OP didn't simply look this informatin up for himself, there are dozens of web sites that explain how to grow sweet potatoes.

Here's one that everyone can access:

brooklyn1

rotflmao

simple answer - no.

Info has been provided in good faith. Take it or leave it.

rob

Reply to
George

That is true, but I like them to grow all about and provide a ground cover, which shades the roots of other plants from the hot sun. They are very attractive plants too. The flowers are small, but pretty.

Did not know that, will have to try them next summer. Thanks. mle

Reply to
mleblanca

I agree that I could have looked this up, but I wanted different ideas on this. Probably everything posted here could be found under search.Its just more interesting to have a discussion. thanks to all

Reply to
HL B123