sweet peas

Hi all,

I'm new here so firstly want to say hello!! My OH and I brought a house with a teeny tiny garden last August and have been slowly working on it. Got some nice young plants in and haven't killed any yet (touching lots of wood!!)

However, I have grown some sweet peas from seed in little trays and they are getting quite strong and are probably ready to grow. My question is... do I need to put bamboo stakes in or can I just put garden wire along the fence? I have no idea other than they need a lot of support (apparrently??)

Has anyone any suggestions? Thx in advance!

Reply to
mztrouble

and not from England but l read that the english use bamboo canes to support the sweet peas ,and sometime they let it grow around a wigwam structure

Reply to
mor

In my limited gardening adventures:

I have only grown the climbing vine types. The wigwam structure was best for me for peas and beans. Birds tend to stand on the fence wire and poop all over the plants. With the wigwam there is only the center for a bird to sit on and poop. For the bush types, I am not sure if any support is needed.

I never could get peas or beans to grow well from seed trays. The roots always grow right through the bottom and into the mats when the the true leaves start to come out, making it a mess. I always plant peas and beans directly into the garden.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

hello! My first post too - I hope it's of some use to you. Sweet peas will grow and cling to anything that they can wind their 'tendrils' to but to get the best from them it is worth considering the following: a) pinch out the tops from the young plants when they have grown two or three true pairs of leaves-this will encourage a bushier plant b)they prefer to grow up something and can get to 8' high.The support should be sturdy - they do not like to be 'rocked' about too much. c)They like a deep root run with plenty of good compost incorporated and must be kept well watered during dry spells.

Reply to
earthmother

Welcome. Jump right in. You'll find some squabbling going on...no big deal. Kinda like a big party, mingle, find yer corner and crowd and settle in and ignore what/who doesn't suit ya'. ;-)

Sometimes ya' have to remember....

"All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Ding Dong........Welcome Wagon!

Stick around, speak up, speak out, ask questions, poke sticks in eyes when necessary.....it's a good place to hang.

Oh, and don't mind Billy....he is a goodun, IMO. Some say otherwise. ;-)

Reply to
Charlie

Well, I'll be......thank you, Dan. The obvious had once again escaped me.

Charlie, no climber beans on fence this year.

Reply to
Charlie

Sweet peas are not heavy plants and a very light support will do. I don't know what garden wire is, but it sounds fine to me. I support my sweet peas by stringing pieces of twine horizontally between poles, with about 4 inches between each piece of twine.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

Thanks all for the ideas and messages! I've planted half of them in the garden, some with canes and some with garden twine across the fence so will see how they do!

Reply to
mztrouble