sweet cherries in Kentucky?

I would like a sweet cherry, but our county extension agent here says they just do not do well in Kentucky. Does anyone know of a type of cherry that would do well here?
sour cherries usually are a little more tolerant of both heat and cold than sweet cherries. Montmorency would be a typical cultivar. I like the flavor of sour cherries even off the tree, but for some people they are too sour. Interestingly, they often have as much sugar as sweet cherries, but have a great deal more acid as well.

I live in Ohio in Zone 5; my son lives in Kentucky, and his weather seems very similar to ours, so I would guess that weather is not why they don't do well there. I wonder what the reason is?
Any way, we have had a sweet cherry tree (Stella variety) for over twenty years and it has been doing quite well. It is self fruitful, so you don't need two of them, and produces a nice sweet cherry that is very like a Bing, but we often picked them before they were fully ripe, before we learned that red is not ripe, black is.
Kentucky Di wrote:

When we lived in Arkansas, I planted sweet cherry trees. We didn't stay there long enough to see how they did, but I did notice that the peach tree borer got into them more then they did into any of the other fruit trees. They didn't seem to grow very fast in the 3 years they were in the ground either, compared to the apples/peaches.
Dwayne