Suprise Tenant

Looked up today and spotted a nest at the top of one of my larger semi-dwarf apples. There was a 'robin size' black colored bird sitting in it, but I did not approach closely to verify the species. I'm sure the nest is rather new, say within the last two weeks, or so. Question is should I try moving the nest, or just let it be? The tree is a Hudson Golden Gem with apples that should be ready for picking in September. I will have to go in there at that time to pick the apples. If I chase away the mother bird now, and move the nest to some other high place like the top of my shed, will she find the nest again and not desert it?
Sherwin D.
sherwindu wrote:

The first thing you need to do is identify the kind of bird you're dealing with. Some fairly common types of birds are Federally protected, and doing anything to disturb them may not be an option unless you like committing felonies.
--
Warren H.

==========
Fat chance of doing that. All I can see from the ground is a head sticking up above the nest. Putting a ladder nearby could frighten the bird and possibly cause the nest to come tumbling down. I have an active bird feeder and have not seen any exotic or federally protected birds, but you never know. I assume the bird I see is a female, and I never see it moving from it's position. If there is an accompanying male, I have never seen it. Since it has to feed, maybe I will get lucky and see it out of the nest.
Warren wrote:

sherwindu said:

Let it be. The bird family will be gone before long. Most songbirds will incubate less than 2 weeks and the babies will leave the nest maybe 10 or 11 days after hatching.

Why do you want to move the nest?
They will be gone long before time for you to pick your apples.
If you attempt to move the nest now most birds will simply desert it.
I guess that's the answer I was looking for. I was not sure about the timing of when they would leave the nest.
Freckles wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

The one problem you might have is if you have to spray with something poisonous you may kill the brood. When picking fruits as a summer job, I'd find dead birds in nests all the time. If you have not yet thinned the apples, you might consider thinning so that you don't have to spray around the nest. As a home grower, your spraying equipment is very precise compared to commercial equipment.

no. and she & her chicks will be long gone before the apples are ready, so don't worry about it.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Please leave her be. She will abandon the nest if you move it. She and her brood will be gone long before September.