Sunset Western Gardens (or similar) web site available? Please advise **************

Hello,
Does anyone know of a good Website to find tree and plant gardening advice and techniques, along with photographs and specific info about plants on the U.S. western coastal region?
If there only was "Sunset's Western Gardens" book on-line, that would be perfect.
Thank you everyone.

One resource for information and links would be your county Master Gardener website. West coast region covers a lot of diverse territory from San Diego to Seattle. In what area are you interested?
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:45:58 -0800, "Anonny Moose"

I would really like to hear more. I was interrested in the Los Angeles Coastal area, actually. Thank You very much! ~Time2Live
Time2Live wrote:

Most public libraries and many nurseries have reference copies of Sunset's "Western Garden Book" available for you to use.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

That is true. I own the 2004 edition at my home. But what *web site** offers similar information please.

Consider these for starters and please consider your neighbors as the premier source for garden wisdom and mistakes for your micro climate.
http://davesgarden.com/pf / http://plants.usda.gov / http://www.highcountrygardens.com / http://www.hort.cornell.edu/department/hlinks.html
Enjoy!
Bill
--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
"oeuf tot pique " Lover

When every commentary pretty much addds up to "buy this crappy gizmo" there just isn't any credibility to be had, & the half-dozen pages I looked at had very little information anyone would be seeking about weeds, though there were a gods-plenty advertisements.
But there ARE many fine weed & wildflower websites which can be found with a google search, the primary goal of such sites being to inform, not to provide continuous sales-pitches for useless garden geegaws. The subject is enormous & no one website covers it all: desirable wildflowers, native plant gardening, noxious, alien, & invasive species, harvesting edible wild plants, poisonous weeds, regional websites on identification of weeds, big photo galleries devoted to weeds, organic vs chemical weed control, & so on. Here's a sampler of vastly more interesting info-packed weed websites:
Global Compendium of Weeds: http://www.hear.org/gcw/index.html
Search page for a database of thousands of weeds: http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/photos/flora /
Identify weeds & wildflowers: http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/Plant_Families/Plant_Families_Index.html
Department of the Interior/Bureau of Land Management Weed Website, with special focus on noxious & invasive weeds: http://www.blm.gov/weeds /
USDA website on noxious weeds: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/weeds /
Vascular plant photo gallery: http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/gallery.htm
National Park Service database on invasive weeds: http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien /
University of Florida's weed resource: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC_Weeds
Cornell's thrilling poisonous plant database: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/index.html
University of Montana's comprehensive database for Northwest invasives: http://invader.dbs.umt.edu /
Weed identification traits search engine: http://www.agproducts.basf.com/weedguide/menu.asp
The Nature Conservancy's weeds connection: http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu /
Nature Conservancy's way cool links page for regional & national weed websites: http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/links.html
Here are some additional weed links: http://www.ippc.orst.edu/cicp/gateway/weed.htm
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Advice often given here when people ask questions like "what should I plant in my garden?" or "how do I design landscaping for a new house" is to visit the library and check on many of the excellent references there. I can't think why any publisher would want to translate its best-selling reference works into a freely accessible web site.
The web is excellent, however, when you reach the point of asking specific questions. There are sites devoted to nearly every kind of plant, with masses of in-depth information. Searching on "plant_name propagation" or "plant_name cultivation" will quickly yield more specifics.
It's a little more work than checking the index of your Sunset book, but if you think of search functions as an index, your ideal "web site" is the web itself.