Sunrise vs. Christmas Cactus

I've got a Sunrise cactus that I bought at the store, which came with instructions to give it cold temperatures (40 degrees) in November and December in order to have it bloom a few weeks later. I also have a few Christmas cacti that were given to me and I'm not sure when their bloom time is. Should I put them in the cold along with the Sunrise cactus, or leave them inside where it's warm and hope they bloom?

-Fleemo

Reply to
Fleemo

Sunrise Cactus A.K.A Easter Cactus = Hatiora (formerly Rhipsalidopsis) are spring bloomers and will not respond to such treatment. They bloom as they days begin to get longer.

Schlumbergera (Thanksgiving and Christmas Cactus) are winter bloomers (short day plants) and will respond to such treatment.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

I've got all three-Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter zygocactus. The Thanksgiving cactus is now showing swelling of white buds. I put all three on the deck during the summer months where they got full morning sun. I bring them in to a cool room (50 degrees is best) where they still get light no artificial light, but I neglect them somewhat and hold back the water. I give them organic feedings (compost/manure tea, fish emulsion) and from March to September. My Christmas cactus is huge. My mother used to put the Christmas cactus in a closed room with no heat and it bloomed remarkably well.

Reply to
Phisherman

Give it cooler temps and it'll start budding for you.

Reply to
Tom Randy

You must not be aware that "Sunrise cactus" (= Hatiora (including Rhipsalidopsis)) and "Christmas cactus" (= Schlumbergera (including Zygocactus)) are not the same thing.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

But Cereoid, the tag for the Sunrise Cactus (Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri) instructs:

"REBLOOMING: Around Oct-Nov, provide temperatures of 40-55 degrees F for 8-10 weeks with moderate light. Bring inside and watch it bloom approxmiately 2 months later."

Last year I did just that and the Easter Cactus bloomed beautifully. However, the Christmas cacti I had sitting right next to it never bloomed at all, which is why I'm wondering whether taking the Christmas cacti outside this year should be avoided.

-Fleemo

Reply to
Fleemo

Ummm, yes I know. Thanks again for asking.

Reply to
Tom Randy

I wasn't asking, I was telling you.

No, you didn't know.

If you do, tell us exactly how the two differ.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Hey, I'm not the one who wrote the tag.

If you do the math, it still didn't bloom until spring. There's typically only 4 weeks in a month.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

My point is that I followed the Sunrise cactus' tag instructions and it bloomed beautifully. It's the Christmas cacti that I'm wondering about. Last year I gave it the same treatment as the Sunrise cactus, putting it in the cold for a few weeks in November and December, yet it never bloomed at all. So I'm wondering if the Christmas cacti would prefer warmer temps in order to coax it to bloom, or should I again try and give it the cold shoulder?

Reply to
Fleemo