sunflowers wilting for no reason?

this year is my 5 year in a row of growing sunflowers in the garden , and they have gotton to near flowering now and there is a bud showing , and all of a sudden 2 of the 3 i planted have suddenly wilted

any idea's , and there has been anoth rain latly to rule out lack of water

Reply to
kristan

Possibly too much rain, they may have a root fungus.

David Hare-Scott

yes but how come there is one that is fine . when its right next to the drooping ones?

Reply to
kristan

Because the fungi in the soil are not everywhere the same and plants have different resistence to them. I have had two eggplants drop dead from fusarium wilt leaving the others OK.

David Hare-Scott

There are insects that bore out the center of the stems, usually the plant just snaps at a weak point, but sometimes they wilt.

Reply to
beecrofter

yea they pulled right out with no roots , ohwell atleast i now have room for my water butt which i plan to put there :)

Reply to
kristan

This could still be fungus.

David Hare-Scott