sunflower seeds

Which strains are used for black oil or gray stripe sunflower seeds as sold for bird seed? What heights can I expect from planting either variety?

Reply to
Father Haskell

This might not be the difinitive answer, but I had a great crop of sunflower plants in my deck planters last year that the squirrels had planted. They got the seeds from the bird feeders. They were 3-5 feet tall and were at least three different varieties. I now use the "no waste" bird seed, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do, because I have lousy luck growing them myself. The squirrels still steal and bury the seeds, but since the shell has already been removed, I presume they sure won't turn into plants. And I'll be darned if I can picture in my mind's eye if the sunflower seeds last year were striped or black oil. If I had to bet, I'd say they planted the black, because I remember getting a few bags of straight black oil seeds. The seed MIXES had both kinds.

Reply to
Laurie

I don't know what the commercial growers use, but the stuff you get in 50 lb bags for bird seed will grow just fine. I won't win any awards with this website, but take a look if your interested in a few images of Black Oilers.

year I had one plant that zoomed to 14 feet (used a stiff tape measure, no guessing). Most common is about 6-8 feet though. Single or multiple heads.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Ohmygosh.................I'll never buy designer sunflower seeds again!!! Thanks!

Reply to
Laurie

Reply to
Jeteye