Sunflower flopping...

I am on my second sunflower and it's starting to flop like the first one. This one grew straight up, presented a nice 12" bloom and reached 6'6" in height. The base of the stem is 1" wide and goes to about 5/8" near the top. It looked good for about a week but now the flower appears too heavy and is bending. Is this common or could there be a deficiency in something?
Thanks.
-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

Does it still follow the sun? Is the stem kinked or is it still round? I thought that sunflowers tended to "nod" when they got that big but, heck, I can't grow them that big in the red clay of Indiana so I've sort of forgotten.

Nay, it's just flopping now. Real nice flower on it. It's a heavy bloom too.

The stem is round... or rather semi-oval. The bloom opened to the east and it started to lean east and it appears that the weight of the bloom and the constant bending is weakening whatever exists inside of the stem.

<g> Yeah it's definitely got a nod, the bloom is pointing straightdown now, gazing at the leaves below it. I don't know if the nod is supposed to continue getting worse. It certainly looks like it will, I mean with the constant strain of the weight of the flower and the "nod" already introduced.
It's the second sunflower that did this. So I'm guessing that it's just the natural way it goes. I thought I should ask and see if anyone might say something different.
-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.
"Jim Carlock" wrote:

Jim Carlock said:

Once the seeds set in the sunflower disc, the flower nods over to protect them from the rain, etc.

Thanks Pat. I was starting to think it was getting too much water and was becoming water heavy. I'm posting some pics dated dated from 6/23/2005 to 7/2/2005 of the sunflower...
-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.
Its top heavy. Stake it up.

:I am on my second sunflower and it's starting to flop like : the first one. This one grew straight up, presented a nice 12" : bloom and reached 6'6" in height. The base of the stem is : 1" wide and goes to about 5/8" near the top. It looked good : for about a week but now the flower appears too heavy and : is bending. Is this common or could there be a deficiency in : something? : : Thanks. : : -- : Jim Carlock : Please post replies to newsgroup. : Nice photos Jim, I have a stepping stone that looks just like it. My favorite stone.
All of the sunflowers I have ever had grew like this, They seemed to get heavy and nod when they matured. There came a point that I would snip the heads and let them dry for the birds, always a hit in the back yard.
Kate
"SVTKate" wrote:

Thanks, Kate. This one sure is taking a very deep nod. <g>

Do they produce seed after you snip them?
-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.