Sun/Shade definitions...

Hi everyone...have a question I need answered...if someone could help.
I am in Zone 3 - Northwestern Ontario.
My back yard faces East - along the North side is the fence (4 feet high and rather "solid" - not much spacing between boards. The sun is on the "other" side of that fence - leaving a "shady strip" where my flower bed is (runs the whole length of that fence).
Is this area considered Shady or Partly Shady??
THREE different employees at the greenhouses I was in (yep...asked them all....) said that plants wanting "sun to partial shade" would be fine there - they suggested:
- Calamintha grandiflora "variegata" - Paeonia - Bleeding heart - Balloon Flower - Platycodon grandiflorum
I am not so sure.
Thank you in advance for any input.
Misstiblu

The north side of a fence (or any other strucure) is generally considered to be mostly shade, but not necessarily heavy shade. Of the plants mentioned, I would consider only the bleeding hearts well suited to this environment - the others would prefer much more sun. Otheres you could consider for this area are columbines, hostas, astilbe, campanulas, Japanese anemones or any other part shade lovers. There are many lists of available of shade loving plants.
pam - gardengal