Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tall gangly plant

Page 4 of 5
chaniarts wrote:

Nice tools!
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:12:04 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Well, I experimented this morning with the weed washer thing:

It gave mixed results ...
Here you see me begin my attack on a combination of Scotch & Spanish Broom, which infests acres of my hillsides:

I start by plunging the double-barreled weed waster directly into the heart of the noxious weeds, and holding it there for minutes at a time, as muddy fluids bubbled out and down the hillside:

The Scotch Broom surrenders as easily as the French in WWII, after just a few moments of coercion; but the Spanish Broom stood its ground with the tenacity of Japanese Bushido:
The problem is that you can't press any deeper than the foot pedal, so, you can only go about six inches deep:

So, you can soak, and soak, and soak, but you're only going to liquify the first foot or so of soil - and nothing much deeper:
So, I ditched the double-barreled water washer:

And, brought back my trusty American Made brass hose nozzle:

I wrapped the Spanish Broom in my hand like a bronco rider:

And I pulled. And I tugged. And I pulled harder. And tugged harder!

It wouldn't budge!
Finally, I resorted to *the claw*:

Exhausted, mud spattered, battered, bruised, the enemy finally yielded, the wrist-thick root cut off, its dying grip still holding fast to the soil:

Having said all that above, the mixed results are that on much younger and smaller enemies, the water weeder things did work wonders, making it trivially easy to pull them out by hand:

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:58:23 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

I like the idea of the water weeder!

In effect, that's what I did with the garden hose nozzle.
However, I just realized, from your post, that I had this big boy buried in my tool shed!

I have to go out now but I'm going to try it on a forest of Scotch Broom:

And, if it works on that easy stuff, then I'll try it on the vastly more tenacious Spanish Broom later on today:

Note: Substitute "img" for "640" for a larger-definition photo.
On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:12:35 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Just to report back to the team, when I picked on the smaller, more vulnerable weeds, like the Wild Mustard, and baby Scotch and infant Spanish Broom, the weed washer method worked rather well.
These branched Spanish Broom babies came up easily:

The Spanish Broom infants were almost trivial when wet:

Some held on for a few seconds, but eventually yielded easily:

The thick-rooted ones were the worst - but even they fell:

So, it seems, the water nozzle trick *does work* rather well:

As long as we pick on weeds with taproots of only a foot or two:

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 06:43:21 -0700, Oren wrote:

I think it's a "Bull Thistle" (Cirsium vulgare).
Apparently it only reproduces by seed, but, the seeds must be removed from the area...

http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/ipcw/pages/detailreport.cfm@usernumber0&surveynumber 2.php Plants from Yosemite Valley that were cut at the root crown a few days after their first flowers appeared and then laid on the ground produced abundant viable seed (Randall pers. observation). Thus it may be important to remove cut stems from the area.
On 6/27/2013 1:46 AM, Danny D. wrote:

http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/ipcw/pages/detailreport.cfm@usernumber0&surveynumber 2.php

Danny, I want to complement you on your picture taking. It makes it much easier for others to understand what you are writing about and you really seem to enjoy photography. I have to Email lots of photos of the work me and JH do to the service corporation we do work for and I've gone through two inexpensive digital cameras this year. I'm going to see if I can find a darn rubber coated drop resistant camera. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:54:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Thanks. I've been on USENET for decades and on forums for years, and I believe in being responsive, providing enough detail, and that a picture is worth a lot more than a description.
BTW, along those lines, I took my black widow spider to a friend who is writing a book on how to photograph hard-to-photograph animals, and you should see the excellent closeups he got of her red hourglass belly and her spinning silk threads out of (her belly?).
Mine are on the top; his are on the bottom:

Now he wants all my rattlesnakes!
Danny D. wrote:

}}}}}}
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

Oren wrote:

aaahhh Dark horses are good entertainers! :)
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:44:17 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Naaaah. I ain't no dark horse; I'm just a responsive polite experienced inquisitive friendly erudite nntp poster who likes to learn & teach.
Danny D. wrote:

I like that too! :)
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:18:02 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

It's amazing, but some people think I'm weird, simply because I post pictures of what I'm doing, and I ask a lot of questions, yet I always answer all the requests politely, and I even buy a few more things to test them out for the group (e.g., with the hose nozzles).
They're not used to someone being responsive, and closing the conversation with the updated results, and, giving updates along the way. They think there is something sinister about that ...
Oh well - I guess I am a dark horse after all ... :)
On 6/28/2013 11:32 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Not at all Danny, I think it's great that you post links to pictures of what you're writing about. You're not forcing anybody to look at your pictures and anyone who chastises you for posting links to pictures is an idiot. I have pictures of the kind of work I do and have posted a link here to some of them in the past. Since me and JH do contract labor for a national service company, I have to take pictures of the repairs and installations we do all the time then upload them to the company's website. I also must label the pictures with the work order number, job name and the date. Keep on posting links to your pictures Danny, it does help me learn about what your problems are and the solutions that you come up with. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:07:27 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Here's the last rattler, a few weeks ago, that was snuggled up against the house right at the door steps where the grandkids play ...

Note: For a larger picture, substitute "img" for 640.
On 6/27/2013 9:49 PM, Danny D. wrote:

uhh ...at your door steps?????? What are you? The snake whisperer?
Funny thing happened to me some years ago. I saw this tarantula running across my front porch. It was the real deal and huge. Silly me thought..."No one is going to believe me!" So I ran in the house and grabbed a mason jar to catch it so people would believe me, and when I got out there and took a look at that spider and then a look at my mason jar ... the spider was bigger than the mouth of the jar was, and I thought to myself .. "this isn't going to work". About that time, the tarantula decided it didn't want to play dead any more in the corner of my front porch and it took off running. It 'bout scared the @#!$# out of me when it did that, soooooooooooo... I let it go it's way, and I ran into the house thinking .. "you dummy! WHAT were YOU thinking???" I hate spiders and I was going to try to catch one THAT big?? <smile>
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:20:19 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I've never caught a tarantula - but that story of the spider being bigger than the jar is interesting!
My penultimate black widow was huge - but - she turned out to be pregnant!

Danny D. wrote:

ugh ... my worst nightmare ... years ago when my kids were toddlers, a black widow decided to make it's nest right nest to our front porch steps. I was scared of it, but more protective of my kids, so I said my short condolences to the spider with the egg sac and prompted smashed it and its progeny with a big board!
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:20:14 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Every mother would do the same to protect her kids.
My kids always knew to scream, and I'd come a' running, to take care of whatever it was that scared them, whether it be a rattler, gopher snake, black widow spider, daddy longlegs, or even a bee or horsefly!
Danny D. said:

wrote:

Oh, I hope he plans to release them somewhere. What a lovely snake.
(Our only family pet is a big, fat albino corn snake, Ms. Ruby.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:30:56 -0400, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

All dangerous critters get released into my ravine, which is filled with poison oak (which I had to tunnel through wrist-thick poison oak fines with a chain saw, just to get to).

The only one who goes down there is me; this picture shows why:

We call it the "ravine of death", since there are so many poisonous creatures and plants living and relocated there ...