Struggling acer

I have a potted acer about 6 or 7 years old. It has always done very well in a good location but this year it has a fraction of the normal leaves and those that have appeared are looking a little withered. Many branches have apparently died.
I am worried that it may have been damaged by the severe frost and that the whole tree may be dying.
Can anyone please offer some advise about how to treat it? Will it be better to remove it from the pot and get it in the ground?
--
artsjuice

On Mon, 2 May 2011 20:32:55 +0000, artsjuice

You don't say which planting zone you're in but if your winters are cold enough to freeze the ground than leaving a tree out in a pot you are lucky it leafed out at all... get it into the ground yesterday.