Strong urine odor

How do I get rid of a strong urine smell that occurs every morning in the garden in front of my house? (I don't know what creature --cat, dog, rat, possum or ??? -- is leaving the urine).

P.S.: I've used "Critter Ridder" Animal Repellent but it hasn't helped; the smell continues.

Reply to
gary

The message

from gary contains these words:

They are marking territory on an established travel route. Animals are creatures of habit and often follow the same route every night if nothing interrupts them, marking at the same spots. So, you need to persuade that animal to take a different route.

You can reduce or prevent territory-marking behaviour by playing the role of a dominant animal, marking the territory yourself with your own urine each evening (before the animal visits). Of course you may still smell pee there but you only need do it for a few days until the animal establishes a new nocturnal route.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Just make sure your not facing traffic when you mark your territory, if you don't want to be obliged to sign-up as a sex offender for the rest of your life.

Reply to
Billy

Some kinds of Juniper smell like cat piss. Cats mark their territory but there are numerous methods to make the area undesirable to cats. Until then, determine what animal you are dealing with. A neighbor rigged up an inexpensive camera to find out what animal was getting into their trash can at night--it was a raccoon.

Reply to
Phisherman

Such freedom is essential to the proper growing of citrus trees.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Ah, gone from yard to orchard, eh? Do we have delusions of grandeur or what? For an orchard, I think your gonna' need a lot of proper Ockers who are properly pissed. (I hope I didn't spray.)

Reply to
Billy

Do you have boxwoods in the front of your house? Boxwoods smell like cat urine to some people.

Jim

Reply to
McGerm

So do some barberries when in bloom/pollinating, but that wouldn't be this time of year.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

An unneutered cat will spray over human pee more often than not; it's not urine they're spraying but a tarry musk that smells so bad because cats can't smell terribly well and it needs to be pretty rank for them to find the spot to mark again. They are not much bothered by familiar scents of people or dogs.

Hunting supply shops sell coyote urine which can be used to mark territory in a way that makes cats worry a bit about predators. I can't vouch that it works on cats but some folks swear by it.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

When the pastures are treated with chicken litter 'round here if the wind is coming from the wrong way you cannot breathe. It's not unpleasant, it produces retching and gagging in the strongest stomache. But it sure does make the grass grow.

Isn't it odd how we have evolved this reaction to things that really are not so harmful. Unless the author has a urinary tract infection urine is sterile. Yet we have this built-in revulsion.

I can understand the revulsion with using human feces as fertiliser, healthy individuals still dump a lot of gut flora which has no place in the environment where it can get into other parts of the body. In parts of the world where untreated night soil is routinely returned to the fields it is a perennial source of reinfection. Urine has no such consequences but we act as if it does.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

this could be the poster child sentence for avoiding double negatives....

Reply to
kzin

Actually, urea is used in skin creams for rough hands which have had their natural oil leached out of them. I've heard that it wasn't that uncommon for models to piss on their hands to keep them looking young and smooth.

Reply to
Billy

Perhaps consider context before assuming that 'not unX' literally means 'X'. To me the word 'unpleasant' has other connotations besides just 'not pleasant'.

But taking your view if I had written "It's pleasant, it produces retching and gagging in the strongest stomach". Does the apparent contradiction make it meaningless, do you think it says the opposite of what I intended or are you just confused?

Style games being rather OT, what are your thoughts on the use of urine as fertiliser? Does the gag factor rule out this sort of nutrient recycling for widespread use?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Actually I thought you had made a typo. Still I always like a chance to inject some levity. Apparently levity does not compute for you. Ok.

Regarding using urine as fertilizer I am not really qualified to say. From what I have read urine is harmless except for this mildew it apparently fosters in some plants. Feces on the other hand needs to be composted before use due to various harmful bacteria. There was a reasonable point made about the residue of drugs and other artificials being in urine that could render it dangerous for use on edibles. I can't comment on that, I just don't know.

So if there are factors that would keep me from using urine or feces as fertilizer they are other than the gag factor.

cheers ml

Reply to
kzin

?????????????

Reply to
Billy

So you meant to write, "It's an indifferent smell, it produces retching and gagging in the strongest stomach"?

I mean it appears to be a bread crumb of an error except for your insistence on defending it.

What other smells do you find to be "not unpleasant, but it produces retching and gagging in the strongest stomach"?

Reply to
Billy

Indeed

There was a reasonable point

I don't know either. I do know that such things sometimes pass through unaltered and sometimes as metabolites that are chemical derivatives of the original drug, sometimes the metabolites bear little relationship to the original. I would suspect that the dilution of going into the soil, the fraction that might be absorbed by plants and going through plant metabolism would result in not much left but until somebody does a study we don't know.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Pharmwaste

(CP) - Environment Canada researchers have found a dozen different types of toxic drugs and even caffeine in water samples taken from the St. Lawrence River in Quebec.

The drugs were found in concentrations less than 10 micrograms per litre

***after sewage treatment*** - "trace amounts," said researchers.

Although the study dealt specifically with the St. Lawrence, drug pollution in waterways is widespread.

Drugs, birth control hormones, Prozac and perfume have all turned up in similar studies in the United Kingdom and the United States in recent years.

U.S. and European studies have also found antibiotics, anti-depressants, veterinary drugs and hormones in tap water.

Previous research from Chesapeake Bay to the Thames River has blamed pharmacological and chemical pollution for the feminization of wild male fish.

Reply to
cat daddy

Start here ---->

then ---->