Strelitzia reginae, bird of paradise thinning replanting

Hiya, I'm not a gardner so speak slow =) My landscape was overgrown from many owners letting it grow, I've just about got everything cleared or cutback.
I think this is what it is, it has the grogeous orange like crane looking flowers. I have 2 of them, around 4 feet tall and with a wide spread, however like everything else around here they're both within 12 inches of one another.
I want to keep 1 of these where its at and move another to another location as they're very crowded and I can't get in there to maintain/ clear out the dead leaves.
Is this possible? how large of a root ball/system should I expect? How do I do this? Can I then divide it and have multiple plants? how is that done?
Also I assume you do not prune these but instead just cut the dead leaves off?
Thanks for any information as I love these but I either got to kill one or replant it.
thanks! shawn
Thank you very much for the info it was helpful. For a 4 foot tall plant how far should I start to dig from the base?
I checked today the 2 plants are probably closer to 3 feet apart...so I dont know they might be pretty well intertwined or something in which case I would probably leave them as I dont want to risk loosing 1 of them..
thanks, shawn
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (shawn) wrote:

Hi Shawn,
I forget where you said you live, but in Southern California people root-prune them with chain saws. So they're pretty tough plants.
cheers,
Marj
* * * Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/ Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden / In Sunset zone 14-mild