Strawberry runners

On-line, I read the following:
+++++++++== As runners form from the plant crowns, train along the row and space 6 to 9 inches apart. Press the runner gently into the soil, hold in place with a rock or cover with about 1/2 inch of soil until roots form. Do not sever the runner from the mother plant.
++++++++++++++
But I don't HAVE any room to plant the runners without severing themt from mother plant. The strawberry patch is tiny and is fenced in to keep the )*&*&^%$ squirrels out. Some of the plants went ape shortly after planting, sending out umpty runners.
Is it quite hopeless to try to sever the runners and plant them elsewhere?
Also, as I am short of room, could I plant them between rosebushes?
Anxiously awaiting your input.
Persephone
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

You can't sever the runners until they are rooted and putting out new growth from their own crowns and have developed their own food supply Until then, they take from their mother plants.
Anyway, if you have newly planted strawberries and hope to have them productive for the next few years, pinch off those runners now! As they take energy from their mother plants, they are hindering establishment of the mother plants, and you want new plants to develop as much of a root system and vigorous new growth as they possibly can. Pinch off all runners and blossoms from new plants and let them grow in and prepare for next year's fruitful summer.

Can you move other more mature plants from where the runners could be rooted? Otherwise just trim them off and don't worry about them for now. But eventually you are going to want to start replacing the older plants anyway because after a few years their production will decrease.
Jerry

Thanks for quick answers from both kind posters.
Definitely, I was NOT thinking outside the envelope!
Of course I will "ruthlessly" sever the runners.
Maybe that's why I haven't had very heavy bearing (though enormous and delicious).
Appreciate the help!
Persephone
Didn't know I was supposed to cut the runners. Maybe that's why my strawberries are small.

On Jun 8, 1:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Persephone,
If you have some 4-inch plastic pots, like the ones most plants come in at the nursery, put some potting soil in there, stick the ends of your runners in the pots, keep 'em watered for a few days, then snip and put your "new" strawberry starts someplace safe. Baby 'em for a little while until their roots really get going, and then put 'em in the ground just like you brought them home from the garden store.

Hmmm...could be an interesting experiment.
I have 4" clay pots, but no plastic. Guess it doesn't matter.
Things are very crowded in that tiny strawberry plot, but I guess I could squeeze in a few 4" pots, just as a scientific experiment.
How many days do you figure until I snip?
Tx
Persephone
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Jeeze girl -- snip the dang things off the mother plants and stick them wherever you want/have room. They'll either make it or they won't. Most likely, they'll make it. Mine always do.
Your mother plants will need to be replaced every couple of years, so don't just wantonly toss all of the runners in the compost.
We made our first rhubarb pie of the season the other day. *wild cheering*
Jan
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net says...

I have removed and replanted, and it worked. Just make sure that they are showing a little bit of developing roots before you cut them off.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

Come to think of it, so have I -- years ago; had forgotten..
Just make sure that they are showing a little bit of developing roots before you cut them off.
Thanks to you and Jan Flora who shared this opinion.
Persephone