strawberry runners

My apologies if this has been asked before...

This is my first experience with strawberries. I planted some everlasting strawberries this spring and now they're putting out runners. Can I create new plants with these? If so, what do I need to do? They're in a mulched area so I doubt they'll do anything on their own.

TIA, LauraJ

Reply to
Laura J

Distribute the runners in a circular pattern around each mother plant. Brush the mulch aside and weigh down the runners with a stick, small rock, or whatever, but nothing so heavy that it breaks the runners. These are temporary umbilical cords. The next thing comes from a book - I've never done it: The following year, if the mother plants look tired, dig them out to make room for the runners that last year's new plants will create.

By the way, the strawberries will usually find a way to make new plants whether you help them or not. But, it's fun to help, and it's always good to get your face in there and see what's going on.

Start hoarding whipped cream! :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It saps the fruit production on everbloomers. On them, it's best to keep the runners clipped off for at least a couple of years. And, by then, the mother plants are usually infected with enough virus that it's time to rip the whole bed out and replant with new stock somewhere else.

Reply to
Sunflower