straw bale garden update +

g'day friends,

we hope all had a very merry season and a happy new year to come.

anyhow we have added more pics of the straw garden to date plus some general shots around the garden environ'.

we hope you get the time to look and enjoy as we enjoy the giving.

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

Hi Len, Neat website, I enjoyed all the great pics and the way you made the raised garden. How often do the bales go mulch-ie and need to be replaced? Or is this an every year project yielding much good compost with which to seed more beds? Nan

Reply to
Olde Hippee

g'day nan,

i did this project as a temporary bed and for a quicky bed, but so far the bales are still there and doing their job since easter.

they are of course breaking down on the bottom and bottom inside edge but that is to be expected and they by doing this creating habitat for worms etc.,.

so before the winter planting this bed will be modified as it is not quiet in the right place and new edging will be applied for now i will use biscuits of hay to define the edge until we work out our permanent edge.

we are doing a new bed now using the biscuit method i will take a couple of pics of that to show the process.

but using hay as edging is temporary by nature, we just wanted to expand ideas of setting up a garden and worry about the edging later on, you know get things growing.

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

Very interesting site and story. Thanks for sharing! May I ask what you mean by "mushroom mulch"? Is that just lots of horse manure?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

g'day fragile warrior,

mushroom compost is the spent medium from mushroom farms, a very good addition or even starter medium for gardens or around trees.

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 00:44:26 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
gardenlen

how your water situation Len?

It was a bit dry here to the point I was considering using washing machine water on the lawn. The very next day we had a good dump of rain and several days of drizzle forecast (hot and humid weather being the payback). I have since learnt a little about the affect on soil of the washing powder I use (a combination of washing soda and borax) and I guess I won't risk it at the moment.

An interesting trade off, the washing soda/borax are simple products and hence low in inputs/energy to produce them and available in bulk, this is advantageous. They are also highly alkaline which is a down side if using on soil.

rob

Reply to
George.com

g'day rob,

things are very dry over here at the moment where we are, we are getting some rain at present and over the past few days, but we are far short of good seasonal rain needed to fill dams and aquafa.

we make our own laundry detergent and all grey water from the home goes onto food gardens/trees.

what lawn/grass we have lives or dies don't matter to us.