Strange (fungal?) growth on soil

Hi
For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I think is partly the problem. Does anyone:
a) Know what it is b) Know how to get rid of it?! There are a number of established plants already growing so it would need to be without harming these.
Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advice
Matt
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: P5200021.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 032| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
mat0120

If it stays in the ground and off the plants, it is converting cellulose to nutrients for your plant.
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
mat0120 wrote:

It isn't a fungus.

I would leave it alone. What is wrong with some green groundcover?

Foliose lichen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen
Scroll down and look for a picture on the right.
I say, leave it alone. It's beautiful.
--
Dan Espen

Are you talking about the liverworts? Might as well leave them alone... they're not going to harm anything. They're representatives of the first line of green plants to diversify on dry land. http://www.biology.duke.edu/bryology/LiToL/MorphologicalDiversity.html http://www.biology.duke.edu/bryology/LiToL/EcologyConservation.html
Chances of them displacing a well established seed plant that is actually adapted to the growing conditions there is nil.
(Fungi are not photosynthetic!)
Kay

Very pretty whatever they are. In fact I'd be trying to keep them as they remind me of the sort of vegetation that only grow on branches in places where the air is especially cleanr.
On 01/06/2012 19:27, mat0120 wrote:

As others have pointed out it's a liverwort. They aren't harmful, but do form a very dense hard mat - particularly in damp, shady conditions. The main problem is that if the mat is complete, then self-seeding of any of the rockery plants will not take place as the seeds will not be able to get through the mat. Also, it is quite possible that the mat will prevent shoots pushing up from underneath.
Finally, although it's a bit theoretical, the fact that it is growing on a rockery isn't good. In general, rockeries are meant to be free-draining, and the presence of liverworts suggests it isn't. Some alpines grown in rockeries do not like to have damp around the stem as it can cause collar rot. Liverworts pushing right up to such a plant might encourage it, so at the very least try to clear them away from direct contact with the plant.
--

Jeff

mat0120;960376 Wrote: > Hi

> growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to > come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I think > is partly the problem. Does anyone:

> already growing so it would need to be without harming these.

As others have said this is Liverwort and grows in badly drained and damp areas. To get rid of it you need to improve the drainage of your soil by adding sharp sand. The only method I have found to kill it off altogether is by using glyphosate with some Fairy liquid.
Mick
harrisom66

harrisom66;960667 Wrote: > Looks to me like they are lilies, bulbs that flower every year, > perennials. Lilies can be from 30cms to over 200cms tall and can be all > the colours of the rainbow. Trying to identify which lily is which will > be difficult as there are hundreds of varieties.

the bulb is a maroon colour and the roots have a pink tone to them if that narrows anything down but thanks for the help :)
theyre already about a foot tall so should i give them some support ? would you be able to tell me any details on maintaining these plants ? id be greatful if you could.
zuhayr-123