strange bird near my raised bed

An unusual looking bird was outside about half an hour ago, eating the cat food that I put out by a raised bed near our North Star cherry tree. I've never seen one of these before here in SW Ohio, so I thought I would post a picture to see if anyone else recognizes it.

At first I thought it was a grey jay, then I thought perhaps a kingfisher, but neither of those lives around here. Then I thought perhaps a northern raven, but those are usually darker, much larger, and don't have the grey slash on the side. After looking at the photos, I realized that what I had thought was a crest was actually a humpback of some kind. It is one of the wierder looking birds I've seen around here.

It is grey in color, roughly 11-13" long including the tail, and has a white or light grey mark at the top of the wing. It also has what I would describe as a huge hump, with the head down below. Head itself is a darker black color.

Please take a look, and thanks!

Reply to
OhioGuy

Young grackle with warble fly larva in its neck, maybe.

In any case, I think that's a young grackle with a problem/deformity.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Looks like a young cowbird.

brooklyn1

Or someone played around with Photo Shop. ;-)

Reply to
D. Arlington

september.org...

and the bird's overall length too long, going by the tray size.

The upper back and neck is the area where you are most likely to find warbles (botfly larvae) as those areas are the hardest for the victim to groom. A number of the rabbits I've trapped have had warbles on their necks.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

... I'm pretty sure I see Michael Jackson ... in the splotch on the bird's neck .. A bit blurry - could be Elvis .. ? John T

Reply to
hubops