Storing leftover seeds question.`

Every time I plant a garden I always buy more seeds than I need. I heard that if you put your leftover seeds in a jar and put the jar in the deep freezer they will be good to use for the next Springs planting. I have leftover green beans, cucumber, and peas. Is this a true way of keeping seeds good? What about tomato seeds too? Thanks for your opinions.

Reply to
Dave

dave, to answer your question,you can save seed for about a year in just an airtight jar.the key is no moisture.any longer than a year you would need to freeze.i have heard of people saving seed for several years in the freezer and the seeds be fine,tomatoes included.hope this helps.

Reply to
rod

I don't freeze them, I just keep the jar in the refrigerator. I've used seeds for 3-4 years that way.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

A ziploc or jar in the freezer is all you need. At my place, two shelves on the freezers door are just for ziploc bags full of seeds. I typically use seeds for 4-5 years out of a packet, and tomatoes last longer. You are talking about large seeds only, and they will last even longer than tomatoes. Basically forever.

Reply to
simy1

"Dave" in news:70QTc.130244$8_6.65077@attbi_s04:

my impression is that beans, peas, and tomato seeds take years to deteriorate stored indoors.

you could search for info... borrowing a dessicant pack from vitamin bottle might be good for your freezer storage plan.

Reply to
Gardñ