Stoopid Eats......

This afternoon Elder Son came bearing gifts from his first Garden.
Some absolutely gorgeous Brandywine tomatoes and one little Habanero.
I was making some vinegar with Tabasco peppers, like the stuff you get in a bottle at some restaurants, and was nibbling on them. He issued "The Challenge".
I took a tiny nibble of the blossom end and it was not hot at all. He nipped a bit further up and went red and sweaty. I should have known better and just backed away from the challenge.
I took a nip from a little higher, got some rib meat and chewed away. My mouth exploded in pain and apparently shut my brain down for a couple of seconds. When Mr Brain came to it's senses, it screamed "THE FOOL SET HIS HEAD ON FIRE!!!" It turned loose gallons of water from my forehead, in an attempt to extinguish the blaze, instructed the adrenal gland to pour it's load, but I couldn't run, because my eyes were working on sending streams towards my mouth. I guess my lungs didn't want to fan the flames 'cause they shut down momentarily.
I never had such a load of endorphins kick in.....had to sit for a while. I think I momentarily reached Nirvana.
OMG.......they have the nerve to illegalize certain herbs and drugs and yet they allow fools like me to play with Habaneros?
Eff me.........Never Again!
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Poor, poor Charlie.....
I feel for ya. My family have contest all the time. At least it was your son you were contesting with. Try besting your wife on something like that. When we get together at my mom's house, it will be my hubby, mom, sis, (step)dad, and myself, (uncle too when he's there), all trying to best each other. I have gotten hubby on several occasions by acting like a pepper wasn't hot (when I really wanted to do as you described), and teasing him about being chicken to try it. You know, the ole "if a girl can handle it.." sort of thing. Easiest way I've ever found to make a grown man cry.
So, I guess son didn't go for it again...
Hope you don't get heartburn easily.
Rae
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 21:54:40 -0400, rachael simpson

Nah......he is apparently smarter than the old man.

Heartburn? It didn't even make to my stomach!
Ya'll go ahead and play with habs. It was a really short learning curve on that experience.
Charred Charlie
Charlie wrote in

Oh, I think you'll see the effects of that pepper at least ONCE again...
On 7/29/07 8:56 AM, in article f8i2ov$l1d$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,

Oh ya! there are times that effect is enough to keep me away from spicy food.
Recently, DD has developed to the start of a love for hot peppers. So when we pulled the Thai red chili sauce, she tried a little and liked it a lot. So she tried some more and still went back for more. Than a whole teaspoon's worth on a chip.
DS (the year old) decided if she likes it, it can't be any hotter than a pepperoni. Tried the whole teaspoon's worth and was still bright red about an hour later... C
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:56:00 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
I know what you mean, but in this case it won't happen. There was a general systemic shutdown, except for the fire extinguisher system. Before the lungs shutdown they coughed the pieces out. When the brimstone hit the opening to the esophagus, it was all over. I was in fear the cardiovascular system would fail me.
I can't believe I did that. I'm never touching anything over 50K Scoville.
Charlie........never again! "These Days" I'm Laid Back with Gregg Alman
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:56:00 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
ROTFL! I was just thinking the same thing.

Well, yeah........there seems to be a damned good reason for that!
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote:

That is so scary! It happened to me with some horseradish on a bit of steak. I thought I was gonna die right there on the dock because I never had the chance to cough. The bit of steak was still in my mouth so I was able to get rid of it but it took way too long before I could get a breath!
Seahag (Stays away from XXX horseradish now)