Stones as mulch

A couple of years ago I planted a dwarf red Japanese barberry. However, it rather fades into the dark background even though I have it on a corner. Today I bought some 1" "pink" (white, really) landscaping stones and they set off the shrub nicely.
After thinking about it, I'm wondering if that might not be such a good idea after all. Will the stones reflect (or absorb and radiate) too much heat from the sun onto the plant? I assume that would be good in the early spring before the ground warms up much, but could it be a problem in the summer? What about setting containers on white stones? Would they heat up too much?
TIA. Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!