stinky trees?

Hello everyone!
I am new to this site.I am glad I found it! I live in St.Loui Missouri(USA) and around my neighborhood there are a bunch of frui bearing trees, the fruit it yellow in color and about the size of cherry. The fruit really really stinks! I guess because alot of it ha fallen to the ground and people stepping on them. I am sure they don smell that bad undamaged. I was just wondering if anyone had any clu to what tree this is. Btw it is a short tree not tall.
Thanx
-- stltrees
stltrees Wrote:

Nevermind I found out they are female ginkgo trees!Thanx
-- stltrees
There you go.

stltrees wrote:

This is not a site it is a newsgroup.
<snip>
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Travis Wrote:

AHHHHHH yeah I think it is a SITE what is a newsgroup? I found the SIT through gardenbanter.com another webSITE whats with the snip do you hav a problem or something?
----SNIP BACK----
-- stltrees

SITEthrough gardenbanter.com another webSITE whats with the snip do you havea problem or something?
It may not be particularly important, but it's a fact, this is a newsgroup, not a website. Why let such a simple fact mess you up?
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Gardenbanter provides a portal to usenet, where newsgroups live. You don't see the whole group because gardenbanter moderates posts they don't like.
Think of it like this, we're all at home watching TV, with satellite, digital and a remote control which enables us to pick exactly what we want to see. Gardenbanter members are like homeless people standing on the street looking through a shop window at the TV program someone else selected, you haven't got a remote to control your view and can't actually hear the sound track. So you don't even know that Travis sings all his posts in a wonderful baritone.

editing replies so that you only reply to the other person's salient point(s) is normal on usenet.
Janet
Janet Baraclough wrote:

I didn't know there were so many homeless people connected to the internet. Must have one of those fancy web enabled cell phones.

USDA Zone 8
stltrees wrote:

I did not snip anything. I fully quoted your message.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

That's right Travis. You are a sight. The Dixie Chicks are a group.

Cereus-validus-........... wrote:

Have they been in the news lately?

USDA Zone 8

If it smells like dog crap, it is probably a female Ginko tree. They have very distinctive triangular leaves. It is a very ancient tree. Take a look here: http://www.treesforyou.org/Selection/Articles/gingko_trees.htm
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2003-36,GGLD:en&q=Ginko+tree+fruit
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2003-36,GGLD:en&q=Ginko+tree ++
Could it be Ginkgo biloba?

Ginkgo was my first thought! Because of the smell of the fruit, my daughter's friend used to call them "stink trees." And interestingly, they don't usually start to bear until they're @ 20 years old or so.
Suzy O Zone 5, Milwaukee, WI

Yes, and I would add it is the female of this tree that is the problem. The male has no such fruit and makes a very nice parkway tree.
Sherwin D.
Suzy O wrote:

Yes, and I heard a story some years ago about a landscaper in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that lost his shirt when the supposed male ginkgos he provided bore fruit and had to be removed. Another interesting tidbit from these parts -- a local high end gift shop uses a ginkgo leaf as it's logo and paid big bucks to have ginkgos planted on two sides of their store between the sidewalk and street. Click here if you're interested in seeing their site: https://shop.georgewatts.com/pages/index.cfm?CFIDc187&CFTOKEN $099842
Suzy O, Milwaukee, WI