Stimulating growth of a Chinese Pistache?

Hey All,

I'm in San Antonio, Texas, and just figured out i have a Chinese Pistache in my front yard (always wondered what it was). The thing is, i've read that they're relatively fast-growing, but the tree hasn't done anything in the past year or two, except put a couple (6 or so) inches on the top. I've been fertilizing and watering my lawn with the sprinkler system, but i'd like to stimulate growth of the tree, and especially make sure i keep it healthy. Could y'all recommend a good fertilizer and watering regimen? Or is there anything else i should be doing? Burning incense, ringing a gong, etc?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
jefftherhino

Hello Jeff Chinese Pistache seems to be more of a Moderate growth tree, and 6 inches a year is pretty good growth. They are very commonly grown here in No. Calif. I would not fertilize it at all. Just let it grow at its own rate, you do not want too rapid, weak growth. This tree needs good drainage, so don't keep it too wet. Too much water could lead to root rot or verticillium wilt. You didn't say how old the tree is. Young trees will spend some time putting down a good root system, and then will get more top growth. You can burn incense and ring a gong if it makes you feel in control..LOL Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca