Steroidal Dandelions...

I was looking at cleaning up this strip of abandoned ground in one corner... the one with the big poke weed. Amongst them are these ... well I think giant dandelions. Out of curiosity I went searching for a type that grows this huge.
They look a lot like dandelions only they are about 2 feet round plants, and about 18' tall. It is growing a tight cluster of flower buds on a single stem--about a dozen buds forming. Kind of a dandelion on steroids. Also the leaves branch out, but they otherwise look like a giant dandelion.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
Hi,
Can't tell what your "steroidal dandelion" might be without a picture but it is definitely not a dandelion because you state that there are "about a dozen buds" forming on a single flower stem. Dandelions have only one flower bud per flower stem. One flower bud per flower stem is one of the defining characteristics of dandelions.
Regards, Rufino Osorio Lake Worth, Florida

He's right. We have them here, too, and I mentioned them last summer in here. Not only are there multiple heads joined together like multiple Siamese Twins, the stem going up to the flower is abnormally wide, too, like it is multiple stems merged together. They are dandelions. I know what a dandelion looks like.
Giselle
I think it is a compass plant.These are the exact leaves I see. I seem to recall seeing what looked like a sunflower in that corner. Also called rosinweed and pilot plant. (Silphium laciniatum L.)
http://www.lib.ksu.edu/wildflower/compassplant.html

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
or prickly lettuce... This one has very distinct characterstics, the thorny ribbing and the white latexy inside of the stem. Should be an easy ID in the morning.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
DigitalVinyl wrote:

18 ft tall, you say. Don't know what it is, but I'd be frightened, for sure!
;-)
Is that supposed to be 18 inches?? They may be in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.
Toad
then hand me the plyers........but don't crush that dwarf...................... madgardener

OMG, someone remembers Firesign Theater? Were they hilarious or what!!!!
Suzy O

Waiting for the electrician or someone like him.......Which way's Goshen?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Oops...
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
just to throw in my own............this year I have a Shenandoah trumpet lily that is affected by facination, and the thing widened out on the main stem, split into two distinct stems and has twice the amount of blossoms right now that were it not for tying it to a rebar, would have bent and broken long before now. It's AWESOME! (pictures sent upon request, madgardener